Chapter Thirty-Eight: The je ne sais quoi turned into à la belle Etoile.

Chapter Thirty-Eight: The je ne sais quoi turned into à la belle Etoile.

Maurice's POV

After a few hours of swimming a lot of laps in the gym, I decided to hit the shower. It was already late and since I wanted to exercise and let my mind wander off, I thought of swimming today. That's my type of relaxation, and also, it never failed to give me the energy to study again.

After taking a shower, I grabbed my bag and went to our campus because there's a shortcut there to my dorm. Only a few people were left. Some just studying on the sides, some having night class...

Man, it was too peaceful. While walking, my mind then suddenly thought of Hailey. She's really cute and all, plus she's like extra nice. I just have the biggest crush on her but... It's all just a crush. A crush.

Go think about that goddamn communication class you have, Maurice. You still have a paper to do and stop thinking about Hailey.

I wondered what she's doing though. At lunch she mentioned about staying late for the newspaper again. Hopefully I might bump into her maybe? Just to see that wonderful smile of hers? I mean, she's really cute damn. I didn't know what Nigel's relationship is with her but I sure hope that they're not officially dating, but a man could only hope right? She told me before that they're dating but not official. I didn't really understand though. A man can hope.

Holy shit I really should hope because... Isn't that Nigel? Kissing another girl?

Without thinking thoroughly, I clenched my fist and charged towards Nigel. It happened so fast, the girl got shocked, Nigel fell down and he shot me a glare.

"What the hell man?" He yelled. "Are you out of your mind?"

"You're out of your mind, kissing someone else while dating Hailey."

The girl then looked at me with eyes wide open, while Nigel tried to avert eye contact with me.

"Who's Hailey?" The girl looked at me with pleading eyes.

"None of your business, Emily, shut up." Nigel angrily rubbed his jaw and stood up. "Bro you're so fucked up to just punch me in the face."

"Punching you for Hailey's sake. Hailey is such a sweet person talking about you most of the time while you're out there kissing with some girl named Emily." I shook my head. "Grow some balls you idiot, and date one girl only."

I left immediately, and I took out my phone to call Hailey in order to tell her the news. It's not about taking opportunities, but I felt responsible for telling her the truth.

After a ring, she immediately answered. But before I could even say something, she then said, "Maurice! Are you still at school?"

"Yeah, Hailey. Why? Are you okay?" I started getting nervous.

"I'm locked inside the editorial room!"

"What!? Okay. Stay calm Hailey. I'll go there." Quickly, I ran to the third floor and was surprised when I entered the editorial room because it was pitch dark. But there's nothing wrong with the electricity on the ground floor.

In another separate room, I saw Hailey from the glass door. "Hailey!"

She was delighted to see me as she repeatedly pounded the door. I tried to search for the emergency switch or something to bring back the electricity. Apparently, the door was totally locked unless you swipe your identification card. But since the detector wasn't working, Hailey would get stuck.

I entered the "personnel only" area, and saw the switch. Immediately, I turned it on and went to check on Hailey.

"Oh my god." She finally got out. "Thank goodness it's so hot inside do you know that?" She kept on fanning herself using her ID. "Wow Maurice, thank goodness you called. I appreciate it so much." She then hugged me by surprise.