Chapter Forty-One: It's because I missed the times when we were together, Connor

"Give me the list of people who knows about the bet." Maurice jotted down things on a mini notebook.

"The three of you." I gave a chuckle.

"This doesn't help." Hailey rubbed her chin. "Do you have friends who are a part of the school newspaper?"

"Aside from you, none I could remember."

Atreyi then interjected. "Of course none, because that kind of person won't be Jessamine's friend in the first place."

"Ha. Nice one." Hailey then gave a high five to Atreyi.

My three friends were helping me investigating who the culprit could be. Honestly, I didn't need them to do this but they insisted. I was happy that at least, I got the three of them. I may have a few friends from my different classes but none of them are those I could hang out during lunch, since I was an irregular student, being a late enrollee.

"Look guys. Thank you so much. And I'm sorry again Hailey."

"No need to say sorry, Jessamine." Hailey stretched out her arms and gave me a warm embrace.

Maurice was taking this seriously to the point that he's been looking at the details while chewing the cap of the pen. I wanted to giggle while the three of them were just, acting like Detective Conans or whatever.

"Have you been into fights?" Atreyi drank her coffee as she tried observing random walking people.

"No."

"Have you been hating on anyone?" Hailey added.

"No."

"Where were you between 2 and 3?" Maurice gave me a long cold stare.

"Uh...is this some sort of a murder type of investigation?" My eyes turned from him to Hailey then to Atreyi as I gave them a poker face, because the way they ask seemed like a crime scene.

Suddenly, Hailey and Atreyi burst out in laughter, making me so confused.

"Hey, playing like cops seems really fun to be honest." Hailey said, which was agreed by Maurice.

Maurice and Hailey then started talking to each other, obviously flirting. Hailey was laughing and laughing every time Maurice said something.

"Those two lovebirds just won't stop." Atreyi started complaining. "I thought we're having our investigation?"

"Let them be." I watched them flirting each other with compassion, making my heart melt.

"You know my mom likes to bake crinkles for my brother." Hailey and Maurice started talking about pastries.

"Really? Does your brother like red velvet crinkles? I remembered that there's an old lady near our neighborhood in Louisiana selling crinkles. Damn it was so delicious."

"Oh my gosh! Red velvet crinkles are the best!"

"I know! The super creamy cheese filling is just so awesome."

The two just kept on talking about crinkles, leaving Atreyi and I out of the conversation. Atreyi then whispered to me, suggesting that the both of us leave the bench.

"And besides... I believe I have to do something." She took a peek at her watch and was looking at some place. "Can you go with me please? I need support, but be discrete."

I raised my eyebrows and did not ask her more questions. Being an obedient person with lack of curiosity, I just followed her to wherever she would go. I doubted that Maurice and Hailey actually noticed that we disappeared.