Chapter Sixty-Two: You're an engineering student? You're now ten times hotter.

Finn's POV

Few days ago

The ticking of time just wouldn't stop. Maybe it shouldn't, because it would mean that my life has come to an end. While there were days I felt like killing myself, today isn't the day. But I always remember that I would never follow my father's footsteps, since he did not know the burden he brought to my mother. So every day, I reminded myself the few reasons to continue living: my family, my future, and Jessamine. Jessamine could be both family and future anyway.

But right now, I just wanted to see my mother. My mother while she neglected me most of the time, leaving me to thrive the life on my own, is still my mother. My mother who I love so much.

It felt like forever waiting outside the operation room. The metal seats were as cold as the arctic as I moved a bit, leaning towards the frozen handle. I could only observe some people walking around usually talking on the phone, some nurses helping different sick patients... The somber mood swirling around was infectious.

My mother would be okay, I knew she would. She's strong and I believed in her.

Time flew by, and I did not even know what happened apart from the fact that I dozed off. I thought I would not because my mind seemed to be tangled in thoughts. Hours already passed and I was still in the same stiff position, making my back and shoulders hurt. Slowly, I pushed myself up and stretched a bit, relaxing the tensed muscles. After giving a big yawn, I slumped back down on the metal chairs, worrying about my mother again. I placed my arms on my lap, anxiously sitting and mindlessly making routine movements like cracking the bones of my knuckles or tapping my knees rhythmically.

The emergency sign then switched off, which alerted my reflexes that made me stand up immediately.

The surgeons were all wearing blue and covered with masks and caps. I couldn't even point which one was the head surgeon, the friend of uncle Roland, with all of them wearing the same thing.

The first one to remove his gloves and mask approached me, which was Dr. Ramsey, the main surgeon. He gave me a thrifty smile, but a reassuring one.

"Fortunately, we have successfully removed the tumor."

I was about to die from happiness as I planned to shake Dr. Ramsey's shoulders. But I decided not to because I was afraid my hands might be unsanitary or something that would violate medical code.

"Thank you..." I couldn't find the set of words that would show the eternal gratitude I felt. While everyone's thanking their Gods, I'd rather thank the doctor. No, not an atheist, just thanking the person who alleviated the situation. "Thank you so much Dr. Ramsey. You don't know how much this means to me..."

"Well I'm not so sure you should thank me this much yet. While your mother's tumor has been removed, we're unsure if it's going to come back in the future. But for now, I am happy that our medical team managed to remove the tumor. Your mother is a strong woman, Finn."

I took a deep breath and nodded. The future would always be an unknown path, right? But the last sentence of the doctor was the one I agree the most, that my mother was a strong person. While before I might not agree with the way she earned money, right now, I almost regretted getting mad at her.

"But really, thank you Dr. Ramsey. When can I see my mom?"

After a few hours, after we transfer her to another room. Our nurse will accommodate you on that." Dr. Ramsey then gave a nod. "See you soon, Finn. Tell Roland I say hi." He gave a chuckle before he left.