Chapter Forty-Five: Jessamine, don't be too aggressive!

Chapter Forty-Five: Jessamine, don't be too aggressive!

I carefully carried the hot bowl of soup from the kitchen to the bedroom. It was Sunday morning and I decided to help Finn for a while.

"Here you go." I placed the bowl of soup on top of the table beside the bed.

"Thanks Jessamine." Finn gave a weak smile while he was sitting beside his lying mom on the bed.

I sat down beside Finn and held his hand, giving it a squeeze. He seemed so sad and it's understandable. Somehow, my heart ached seeing Finn very sad. "How are you Mrs. Andersen?"

"I'm really tired..." I remembered the first time I saw his mother. Beautiful, an aesthetically pleasing person with bright eyes long blonde hair, not obvious that she's in her late 40s. Right now, there are huge dark circles under her eyes as if she's feeling drowsy all the time. Her face shrunk, and she was really weak even just moving around.

"Mom, when did this happen?"

"I don't know, hon. I frequently get headaches but I didn't think it is this bad."

Finn furrowed his brow upon hearing what his mother said. "Mom, you could have told me so that I could tell you to rest."

"No, it's okay, Finn."

"Mom, I think we need to go check up with the doctor tomorrow, okay?"

She did not answer, instead, she turned to me and gave a smile. "Hey, Finn, I didn't know that you like Chinese girls."

Finn's mother was smiling, while Finn didn't answer immediately, and I could see it on his face that he was feeling awkward.

"Uhm yeah mom, Jessamine is one of a kind."

"Good, make sure to never lose her, okay?" Mrs. Andersen then looked at me and gave a wide smile.

"Oh. Uhm..." My cheeks turned bright red.

Finn, seeing me getting nervous, gave me a peck on the cheek. "Yes mom."

"Jessamine, Finn can't stop talking about you, you know?"

At first I thought Finn and his mom weren't close because both of them were busy with work, but it was pleasing to hear those words from his mother.

"You are a strong and independent woman plus a really sweet and caring one." Mrs. Andersen seemed genuinely happy, which made my heart melt.

I shyly scratched my head. "Uhm...thank you Mrs. Andersen."

"You can call me Karen."

Karen? In my culture, it's disrespectful to call elders by their first names. But Karen seemed like a cute name so I didn't want to miss calling her that.

"Thank you, Karen." It felt difficult at first to address her by her first name but I would get to it eventually.

Since the soup had cooled off a bit, I got the bowl and asked Finn's mother if she's okay now to eat. Slowly, she got up and sat down while her back was resting on the head board. Finn then stood up and said he's going to get the medicine.

"Here, Mrs.- I mean, Karen." I carefully fed her a spoonful of soup. "I hope it's good enough."

"Of course." She started to talk again so I placed the bowl of soup first on the table. "Jessamine, Finn can be a bit of reckless sometimes, and he keeps his problems to himself all the time because he hates asking for help. I hope you can understand that if you get married in the future, okay?"

Shyly, I kept on chuckling because Finn's mother seemed like the type of person who shipped us, which is nice. Like, come on. Your boyfriend's mother approved you being with her son.