Chapter Forty-Three: Isn't Connor enough to satisfy you?

Chapter Forty-Three: Isn't Connor enough to satisfy you?

"Surprise!"

I almost screamed the moment Caleb appeared out of nowhere while I got out of the classroom. He was unusually cheerful, which contradicted the way he treated me for the past weeks ever since the article incident.

Unless...

"What do you want?" I shot him a dirty look because I still wouldn't forgive what he and Tyrone did to me, especially Tyrone.

"To tell you that I know who's the one behind the article. I forced her to write an announcement of public apology and everything's cleared. She needs to tell you sorry though."

A huge weight has been lifted after I heard about what Caleb said. The cold stares from some people were driving me nuts already. "You're telling me a lot of things but you forgot to tell me the main point, who's behind it?"

"You'll know it eventually."

I took a peek at my watch and gave another glare at him because even until now, my hatred still stayed. "Okay but I only have a few minutes to spare for this idiot who wrote about the hoax."

I followed Caleb to his office and upon entering the room, my mouth hung open when it was Stephanie who was sitting there, waiting for us.

Caleb went to take his movable seat while I on the other hand, blankly stared at Stephanie while her face registered embarrassment was hot with shame.

"Tell her what you feel like telling her." Caleb said while he was scribbling something on his notebook.

"I didn't know that you're a part of the newspaper editors..." I was still stunned while looking at her. On that moment, I wasn't sure if I should scream at her or what but I tried to keep calm.

"Yeah, gotta be active in school activities right?" Stephanie gave a chuckle which made Caleb even angrier.

"Are you going to apologize or what?"

Stephanie drew in a deep breath and gave a heavy sigh. "I'm sorry for writing that article. I overheard your conversation with Caleb that day after the debate competition. It popped into my mind that it was because Caleb was there to help you cheat that's why you won the debate competition. How could I expect that an Asian transferee would defeat me and win the debate champion?" She then spat out bitterly.

At first I wanted to forgive her for saying sorry and for explaining me the details, but the latter part was sick as hell because the way she said it seemed like she was looking down at me. Wow. I might be shorter than her but me nor my race wasn't something to be looked down upon.

"But it happened." I replied with sass. "You lost to an Asian transferee and you need to accept it. Bad things happen in life, just like you happened in my life."

Caleb discreetly laughed behind Stephanie while Stephanie felt really bad about it. I may be a little too harsh but after the article was released about me some people looked at me with cold stares so there's no such thing as me being forgiving all the time. Not to mention this article actually made Finn think that there's something fishy about me. That was the biggest impact of all.

"You're right. I'm a loser. I'm sorry, really." She then dismissed it by excusing herself and leaving the vicinity.

It wasn't in my agenda to hurt people like that but sometimes I really got to stand up for myself amidst all the harsh realities in life. I mean, I could be bullied or whatsoever in a land where I wasn't raised on, right? Especially without having a family. Heck the closest relative I have right now is only my uncle from Philippines.