thirty eight

"hold on a minute," harry's eyebrows furrowed. "did you just say-"

"i'm pregnant?!" louis shrieked. "what the fuck?!"

harry's jaw dropped. "you have got to be shitting me."

"oh, no," the nurse chuckled. "i'm not. louis must have experienced the abdominal cramps almost as if it was period-like. then the spotting, which occurs throughout the first trimester of the pregnancy."

louis looks between the doctor, the screen, and then harry. "it's a legit kid?"

"very legit. see?" the doctor tapped the screen. "that's your little baby. at this rate i would say you are about seven weeks along!"

harry glanced down at louis' tummy. "oh my god..."

louis did another double take. "but...i'm a boy?"

"yeah, but that's not uncommon," the doctor says. she proceeds to tell the boys that there was a small percentage of men around the world who were known as "carriers", or men that could bare children. the pregnancy would be a bit more difficult, seeing as how a normal male's body isn't developed like a woman's, and that it would be seriously risky.

louis chewed on his lip and looked over to harry the same time harry looked up at louis. the nurse left the room to 'give them a moment' and print out sonograms just in case the boys wanted them.

"so..." harry cleared his throat.

"i just officially joined the gang and i'm fucking pregnant," louis looked down at his lap. "what could beat that?"

"um," harry pursed his lips. "i'll have to get back to you on that one."

harry was silent for a moment and reached over to grab the wand to the machine. it was still on. he leaned over louis, now standing, and moved the stick around his belly.

"that's pretty legit," he commented.

louis stared at the screen and put his hand on top of harry's. the two men watched in silence as the little bean shaped figure moved. both of them were still shocked and still confused.

"uh...we're gonna be parents," louis whispered as harry turned the machine off and he wiped off his tummy.

"we're gonna be parents," harry's face soon split in two. he jumped over and reached over to wrap his arms around the boy. "we're gonna be fucking dads, louis. oh my god-"

louis hugged him back, tears welling up in his eyes. "do you want it?"

"what?"

"do you want the baby?"

"of course!" harry cupped louis' face with both hands. "i want this baby, and i couldn't be any fucking happier that i'm having this baby with you."

"ya don't think i'm weird?"

"baby, you've always been weird. this is just another reason why i love you."

"lame," louis snorted and looked harry in the eyes. "i'm scared."

"i am too," harry bumped their noses. "i know absolutely nothing about kids."

"i don't either," louis said.

harry gave him a kiss before peppering kisses on his face softly. "it's gonna be okay. we're a team," he said. "we can do this."

"we can do this," louis repeated and pulled harry down for another hug. harry laid his head on louis' shoulder, rubbing his back. they're going to have a child. a real, live baby made from them. they were getting married, moving into a house, and now they have a family. harry never imagined life being like this. he always thought he was going to be stuck in this gang with no future but here he is spending the rest of his life with a boy he met at a bar one night. he's marrying the boy that accepted him for him. he doesn't judge him, appreciates him and feels the same way about him. he really never expected this.

"i love you so much," harry said, blinking back tears. he pressed multiple kisses to louis' shoulder, neck and jaw before moving down to kiss his tummy. louis' eyes watered as harry whispered sweet nothings to his belly and he just had to grab harry's phone and take a picture. it was iconic, he really couldn't pass this opportunity up.

harry laid his head on louis' tummy carefully. "our baby."

louis smiled softly and nodded. "i really can't fucking believe this is happening."

the nurse came back with some pictures, handing them to the pregnant boy. louis thanked her and kept staring at them with fond eyes while harry nodded to everything the doctor told him. louis was prescribed some vitamins until he could make an appointment and was told he had to stay overnight just so that they can get more paperwork filled out plus make sure the bleeding and pain subsides.

once the nurse left for good, louis showed harry the sonograms. "look how little."

"i know," harry cooed and held the stack close. "i'm gonna go get the lads, do you need anything?"

"something to drink?" louis asked softly. harry nodded and kissed his head before leaving the room with the pictures.

harry got louis' drink and made his way to the waiting room, where niall and zayn were sitting anxiously.

"is he gonna be okay?" niall asked once he saw harry.

harry nodded and looked over at his brother. he looked down at the sonograms before holding them up.

zayn looked puzzled for a moment but his eyes widened. "weren't we just talking about this?"

"yeah," harry chuckled. "he's pregnant."

niall did the same thing louis did, asked the same question over and over again. he took the ultrasounds and stared at them for a moment before he cried against zayn that louis was having a baby and the three boys went to louis' room.

zayn was the first to enter, but he and niall arrived at louis' bed at the same time. they both, one on each side, began rambling about the boy being pregnant. harry watched fondly from the doorway as zayn begged to be the godfather and niall suggesting they name the kid after him.

louis wetly laughed at the men, overwhelmed with emotions as a few tears kept falling. their banter was over when harry suggested they give louis a little bit of space and kicked his legs up on louis' hospital bed once he sat down. they discussed what the doctors said and tossed a few ideas about the baby back and forth. zayn and niall drove back home, promising to return the next day and harry threatened that if they didn't he would personally strangle the both of them.

that night, louis tried to sleep but his excitement and nervousness kept him awake.

"prince," harry whined. "you need to sleep."

"i can't," louis pouted. "'m thinking."

"about what?" harry sat up from his resting position. louis shrugged and harry wormed his way onto the uncomfortable bed, laying on his side next to his fiancé. louis happily moved over and leaned into his chest.

"just..what about the gang?" he bit the inside of his cheek. "i'm an on-call medic. you're like one of evan's most important guys, and we sell drugs and-"

"love," harry protested quietly. "we can do this, remember? don't worry about all of this right now," he kissed louis' head. louis sighed and fluttered his eyes shut. harry reached over and rubbed louis' flat tummy, feeling louis rest his hand on top of his.

"i love you," harry murmured. louis said it back and soon fell asleep just like that.

---

so yeah, louis is pregnant. i feel like this would intensify the fic. it's heading that way with ink and innocence as well (if you have read it). later on there will be some unfortunate chapters (that i may have to put trigger warnings in) but most of it will not. there will be time skips! some chapters will revolve around louis' pregnancy, and some will not.

even though it is early in the pregnancy, boy or girl? (: