forty four

"i have the bags packed in the trunk," harry said as louis struggled to get his shoes on. louis' feet were beginning to hurt him and he mainly stayed sock-footed until shoes were absolutely necessary. if harry was just driving around, louis wouldn't wear shoes. if he went to take the dog outisde, he stayed on the porch in socks. there was no way he would let stupid shoes suffocate his aching feet more than they had to.

working was already a struggle for louis. being on his feet all the time had him sitting down more than usual so there ended up being an extra stool behind the bar for when the boy needed to rest. thankfully niall would cover for him until he could get back to business.

"love, just wear your sandals," harry pouted and grabbed louis' nike shoes. the smaller boy slipped his feet into them, sighing softly and harry helped him out of the bed. raven was growing fast and taking a toll on her father.

"are you sure you want to do this? we can wait-"

"i wanna go," louis insisted. "i just need to rest, lion, that's all."

harry nodded and led louis down the steps. louis held onto the railing as he walked and went to the living room, where niall was tugging on a hoodie. the irishman smiled at his friend and zayn tossed harry's keys to him.

the place harry rented was up in manchester. he did some searching and was able to rent a three bedroom, two bathroom cabin for ten days. louis was excited to be in the woods, he loved nature and used to go to camp every summer as a boy. he was happy to be able to swim in the lake, listen to niall play his guitar and cuddle up against his lover by a campfire. louis was just happy he got to spend time with those he loved that didn't involve hospital rooms or work.

louis ended up taking a nap while harry drove, a blanket covering his shoulders and head against the window. zayn was following his brother in his own vehicle, teasingly riding the ass end of the car. harry hoped zayn knew what he was capable of and he got a honk from his brother when he brake-checked him on a country road. harry tossed his hand out of the window with a middle finger and pressed on the gas a little bit to get to their destination.

it was a couple hours away from london, in the countryside of the city. harry occasionally admired the woods he drove through and he turned the radio down a bit so louis could sleep better. he was glad to get away from london for a while with the love of his life and brothers. niall grew on the man and now anytime that he isn't at the house harry asks where he's at.

after about an hour and a half of driving, louis stirred and rubbed his eyes. he snuggled deeper into the blanket and yawned, patting his tummy as he felt raven squirm inside of him.

"haz?" louis blushed. "i gotta pee."

harry nodded and continued to drive until he saw a nearby rest stop. it was a small café called dean's and it made harry think of louis' bat he won him on their date in doncaster. louis stretched and unbuckled his seatbelt once harry parked and waddled to the doors with harry in tow.

while louis peed, harry ordered some food to go. he assumed his lover might be hungry since he's eating for two and louis' eyes lit up when he saw harry grabbing a bag and a tray of drinks. harry smiled innocently at him and split everything between the four boys once they got outside. even though niall was snoozing away, zayn thanked his brother for the food and held the pastry up to niall's nose. it was an endearing sight that niall literally woke up to food.

louis ate happily as he enjoyed the scenery before him. the sandwich harry got him made louis question harry's cooking because it was mouthwatering and the cheese was melting in his mouth. harry just munched on some waffle fries and occasionally held one out to louis, who accepted them by eating them off of harry's fingers.