Her Butler, Welcoming

1888.

Heavy rains poured from the darkened, saturated clouds that hung over London. Black umbrellas lined the streets from a bird's eye view as people continued on with their daily errands. It was damp and dreary but it didn't stop the Brits from going about their business.

That included Anastasia. Or 'Ana' for short. She held a black umbrella over her head to protect her light brown hair. She didn't own a hat but she opted to keep it in a low bun. There was also a small beauty spot just under the right corner of her mouth.

Strands of her hair framed her face but the breeze kept blowing them in front of her hazel coloured eyes

Strands of her hair framed her face but the breeze kept blowing them in front of her hazel coloured eyes. Tucking them behind her ears, she looked ahead to see how much farther she had to walk. Pulling her shawl tighter around herself, she sighed.

"Almost there, Ana," she told herself.

Her dress only reached halfway down her shins so her legs felt really cold despite the stockings she was wearing. She couldn't quite believe that she was once a big time journalist and now she couldn't even afford warm clothes. It didn't matter anyway. She had a tough life so she could endure some more. She was 28 years old (she thinks) and still young. Her whole life was ahead of her, even if it meant begging for work.

Finally, she made it up the long road, which was clearly meant for cars. It seemed like a trek but it was worth it. The manor was directly in front of her and she made her way to the bottom of the steps in front of the door. From a distance, the manor did look big but now standing in front of it, she realised how huge it truly was. She had to crane her head up and turn her head side to side simply to take it all in.

She took a deep breath. "Here it goes."

Climbing the few steps to the front door, she knocked three times. There was definitely no more turning back. Just a few moments later, the door opened. Standing there was a tall man with black hair and red eyes. He was wearing a standard butler's uniform and he seemed to have a slim, athletic build. He gazed down at her curiously.

"Hello. Can I help you?" he asked.

His perfect accent almost put her own to shame.

"Yes. I'm here for the job that was advertised."
The butler tilted his head. "I'm afraid you must be mistaken. Unfortunately, there are no posts available at the moment."
"Yes, there is." She pulled out a piece of a newspaper and shoved it in his face for a split second. "See?" she said before quickly putting it away again.

The butler was a bit taken aback by the paper that was shoved in his face but he smiled gently at the woman nonetheless. 'I will let Master Ciel deal with this one.'

"Of course. How silly of me."
She huffed smugly. "Well? Are you going to let me in? I wish to speak to Lord Phantomhive."
He bowed slightly before stepping back. "Please."

She entered and wiped her feet on the doormat as she kept hold of the umbrella, closing it outside the door and shaking the rainwater off it. She placed it inside umbrella stand and Sebastian closed the door. As she took off her shawl, he held his hand out.