Her Butler, So Close

It had been a few days since Ana's disappearance. The servants were still worried that something terrible had happened to her but Sebastian behaved in the usual manner. He seemed so alright with her being gone and continuously assured them that she was safe.

However, any free moment he had, he would try to search for her or even at least try to sense her presence. If she managed to escape from heaven or was even brought out, then he would be able to feel it. But he couldn't feel her presence at all. He was suffering without her.

***

Ciel and Sebastian were in Paris to attend the Exposition Universelle. All Sebastian could think was that Ana would have loved to have been there. She loved France and it was definitely something they would have brought her along to enjoy with them. Even Ciel missed having her with them.

They had gone to meet Queen Victoria but decided to have a wander around the exposition before then. Sebastian suggested they take a look around to carry out research for the company. However, just then, they heard two French men passing by.

"You're sure?"
"Yes. They say there's a stuffed angel at the Palace of Wonders."
"That I must see."
"A stuffed angel?" Ciel asked in surprise. "Really?"

He and Sebastian looked at each other. It was definitely something they had to take a look at. Upon arriving at the Palace of Wonders, they found a large group of people surrounding a glass case. Inside was just a white monkey with wings.

"Pathetic. It's just a stuffed monkey," Ciel commented in disappointment. "What a bore. Let's move on."

As they walked away from the piece, the monkey's red eyes began to glow. Suddenly, a woman's scream made them stop and look back. The monkey had come alive and broke out of the cage, glass breaking and smashing to the ground. It flew straight at them but Sebastian managed to protect Ciel. The monkey began flying around the exhibition and broke all of the lights as it let out a terrifying screech, plunging everyone into darkness.

"What is that thing?!"
Sebastian held his arm. "Calm yourself, young master."
"But this-"
"You're used to living in the darkness. This should be nothing. The lights have but dimmed a bit." Sebastian looked around as the people panicked. "We should leave here now. Master, please. Entrust this situation into my care."

Ciel knew he had no other choice. Knowing he would be protected, he ran straight to the exit. He ran and ran until he made it outside where the sun was still shining and the skies were blue. As he looked around, he suddenly saw Angela standing behind the fountain with a smile on her face. Frightened, he turned and ran to the Eiffel Tower, running up to the carts.

He got inside and shut the door before leaning back against it as he gasped for breath. It was only after he heard a voice that he opened his eyes and saw Queen Victoria sitting in there.

"Your Majesty!" he gasped.

Suddenly, the cart began moving up the Eiffel Tower. As it did so, the Queen started speaking about the new century and that Europe was on the verge of change.

"However, we are stained," she said. "We are stagnating." She pointed at Ciel. "We are unclean."

His eyes widened at her words.

"The slate must be wiped clean," she continued. "No creation without destruction. The new century must be pure. And so I have cleansed the house that is seen fit to sully our great country. The house of Phantomhive."

Ciel's blood ran cold. He finally knew who had done it.

***

He had followed her up to the higher level of the tower as she hummed the tune of London Bridge. He decided to question her actions.