Chapter 45

"The very best of evenings to you!
First off, please join me in welcoming the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn"

Some students clap while potter claps perfunctorily, his eyes drifting to the entrance of the Hall as a pair of Aurors station themselves just outside

"Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to
say, has agreed to resume his old post of Potions master. Meanwhile the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be assumed by Professor Snape."

This is greeted by stunned silence. Dumbledore frowns, then attempts to generate something by clapping  his hands once. A few Slytherins join in and some dim-witted First Years.

"Now, as you know, each and every
one of you was searched upon your arrival tonight. You have a right to know why." He pauses momentarily before continuing

"Once there was a young man who, like you, sat in this very Hall. Walked this castle's corridors. Slept beneath its roof. He seemed, to all the world, a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle."The Hall goes utterly silent. I roll my eyes at them all

"Today, of course, the world knows
him by another name. Which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I am reminded of a sobering fact. Each day, every hour, this very minute perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle. But in the end, their greatest weapon remains you."

Potter eyes draco, Draco remains uninterested and stares at his wand. Potter locks eyes with me I glare at him, he gulps and looks away from Draco.

"Just something to keep in mind. Now, off to bed. Pip pip!"

I stood up and locked hands with Draco before making my way to the Slytherin common room.

"Melody!"

"Melody!" I turn to see potter

"What" I sass out, he looks taken back and steps back a bit.

"I just wanted to say maybe you should distance yourself from Malfoy this year something seems off with hi-" I raise my wand and place it under his chin. A small Crowd gather and his two lap dogs ran to his side.

"We are not friends potter" I spit his name out "you don't get to tell me what to do and you sure as hell don't get to give me your opinion on my boyfriend when I didn't ask for it" I cocked an eyebrow up and smirked a little. His face was Snow White, a cough was heard from behind me.

Professor Snape standing there with his eyebrow up and arms folded "and what is going on here"

I bat my eyelashes and lower my wand "nothing sir just a friendly chit chat"

"Yes I'm sure it was friendly chit chat" he chuckles, I glare at potter "well I must be off sir goodnight"

"She's gone bloody psycho mate" I heard weasely say rather loudly. "She's definitely different Ron" potter said with a sigh

As potter drags weasely inside, the other students turn in unison. Granger frowns. Lavender, seeing weasely, beams.

"Harry m'boy! I was beginning to
worry! And I see we've brought someone with us"

"Ron Weasley, sir. But I'm dead
awful at Potions, a menace actually, so I probably should just be going"

"Nonsense, we'll sort you out. Any
friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Right then, books out"

"Um, sorry, sir, but I haven't got
my book yet -- nor's Ron. You see until this morning" potter stutters out