-46-

The twins and Olivia were released from the hospital three days after the girls were born. Olivia sat in the back between them, as Peter drove home as slowly and as safely as possible. He avoided the streets that were bumpy and had potholes because Olivia was still having pain where the incision was.

"So, Kamryn is going to need her diaper changed when we get home," Olivia spoke, as she rubbed Kamryn's chest as she continued to suck on her pacifier.

"I feel like Kamryn is going to be the one always getting in trouble out of the two." Peter laughed softly, as he glanced back at his wife and smiled at her.

"I think so too. She was hiding Ember." Olivia replied, before letting out a noisy yawn. Peter pulled onto their street before looking back at his wife.

"Do you want to nap when we get home?" He asked.

"I'd like to... but we have so much that we need to do. Like we have to make sure the girls don't get fussy." Olivia spoke because honestly, she didn't know what state the house was in and if she would have to clean at all.

"Lucy has been keeping up with the chores. She has a lot of time since Hadley pretty much does what she wants now. I asked her to clean up a bit since I knew you would need sleep and to recover still."

"I'm fi-"

"You aren't fine. So, I'm on paternity leave and will take care of you and the kids until you are starting to feel more like yourself. Now, when we get inside, you'll go upstairs and sleep and I'll be on Daddy Duty."

---

Peter got a tad bit overwhelmed by the time that Hadley and Noah were added to the equation. Olivia was sleeping incredibly deeply, so he couldn't even get her to wake up to help him with the kids. 

Peter just kept the kids all in the kitchen so he could work on dinner and keep an eye on them all. The twins were in their bouncers, while Noah worked on homework and Hadley drew on as many pieces of construction paper she could get her little hands on.

But then the twins started to fuss. The pizza burned. And Noah got so frustrated with his homework that he started to cry which lead to Hadley crying too. Then someone just decided to show up when he didn't need anything more to deal with.

"Yes?" Peter questioned, as he held Hadley close and rocked her back and forth as he opened the front door.

"Peter? What's happening?" The woman asked, and Peter's eyes went wide when he saw Kathryn standing there.

"Ryn... okay I know you are my ex, but can you please come inside just for a few minutes and bounce the twins? Please?" Peter asked.

"The twins? Uh... I guess." She replied. Peter quickly let Kathryn into the house and she followed him into the kitchen. Kathryn walked over and helped to get the twins calmed down while Peter took Noah and Hadley out into the living room to watch cartoons while he went into the kitchen to figure out something to make them for dinner.

"Are you and Liv still together?" Kathryn asked, and Peter nodded slowly. He had kinda forgotten about her being here, and about her being a person in general. He had been so absorbed in the life he had, that he didn't really remember his relationship that he once had with her.

"Yeah, uh we got married earlier this year," Peter spoke, as he tossed the burnt pizza into the garbage can before finding a box of mac-n-cheese and starting to get stuff around to make it.

"That's good, Peter... what are their names?" Kathryn asked, as she looked down at the babies and smiled at them. Peter filled a saucepan with water before putting it on the stove and turning the burner on.

"Kamryn Amanda and Ember Violet. We just got home today, and Liv's exhausted so I took on all four kids. I don't want to wake her up when I know she will never get any sleep for the next several months." Peter spoke.

"Peter?" Kathryn asked, and Peter looked at her.

"Yeah?"

"I'm getting married." She breathed, and Peter smiled softly.

"That's great, Ryn. Who's the lucky guy?" He questioned, as he started to hear some noise upstairs and he knew Olivia was finally getting up.

"Damien... Damien Samson." She spoke, and Peter felt his expression fall.

"My best friend from law school? Ry-" He couldn't even finish before he heard the kids get excited about seeing their mother.

"I love him. And I just wanted to get your blessing. I hope that you are good with this." Kathryn spoke, and her voice brought Olivia into the kitchen. She stood in the doorway of the kitchen with tears in her eyes. 

Just seeing Kathryn made her feel like less of a woman... like she was scared Peter would leave again.

"Liv-" Peter started.

"If you two want some privacy, please take our bedroom. Or the house in general." Olivia huffed, before walking over and lifting the twins from their bouncers before walking out of the kitchen.

"What?" Kathryn questioned her ex.

"She's still insecure about herself... especially right now since she just had the twins... Uh, let's" meet up tomorrow or something. I have to go on a diaper run and we can talk then."

"I promised Liv to stay away..." Kathryn sighed.

"You did what? She really asked you to stay away?!" Peter huffed, but then he heard the front door slam and he froze. Kathryn walked over and looked out the window.

"She's getting the kids in the car Peter. Are you going to go after her?" Kathryn questioned, as her eyes went wide.

"Not right now... She'll be back. I just need space." Peter mumbled, before walking Kathryn to the front door. They both left, but Peter didn't remember that he had left the stove on high.

---

Olivia stood outside of her car on the other side of the road from the house. The NYFD was working hard to put the fire out, but there was no way in hell that anything was saved. Everything that she had was in that house, and now they had nothing. 

"What happened?!" Peter exclaimed as he came running towards her after he had parked his car. Olivia looked over at him numbly as tears ran down her cheeks.

"Our house is gone, Peter," Olivia mumbled, before getting back into the van and locking it again. 

Peter looked at the house as he felt his heart pounding out of his chest. He stared at it for several long moments before breaking down into sobs.

He remembered.

He knew he caused this.

Hey guys, thanks for reading and please vote and comment all of your feedback below.