92. Simpatico

Regarding my last update, Misplaced will be the story published after this one :)

It wasn't as if he was just throwing away everything. It was more of a trial, if anything, to clarify with his family that, yes, he was gay, and, yes, he did have a strong appreciation for Geoff.

He loved him.

Maybe it was the same mindset of why so many people tended to fall into love with their therapists; the first people to show fundamental care and nurturing characteristics that actually worked in a significant way, to a person in need of that. The therapist and the client. Maybe that's what their relationship was like, with a few more complexities.

Geoff was simpatico. His relationship with the younger boy was the same; the attributes that made up their compatibility was just purely simpatico and he wouldn't trade the world for it. His boyfriend would be disappointed at first for Awsten to choose to do something so reckless, but nonetheless, it would never change from being simpatico, from being pink.

He was quietly putting his clothes, since he was currently wearing some that he'd stolen from his boyfriend's dresser, and was stuffing them into a cloth bag that Geoff's mother had leant him for the moment while she went out to warm up the car. Bless her heart, it was so late, or early, and she was prepared to take him home at this hour. He really was grateful.

He quietly looked through the things on Geoff's desk in search of paper and pen, finding a post-it note and pencil, deeming it to be enough. He didn't know what to say, how to describe what he was feeling and how to justify his decision in words, the pain he felt that the older boy didn't feel the same about him. Not quite, at least. He scribbled out a few words before sticking the note on Geoff's bedside.

"Everything is blue."

It was the best that he could manage.

He tucked the cloth bag under his arm before walking to the open bedroom door. He'd considered kissing Geoff before he left, but the chances of him waking from that were looking a little too likely for his favour, so he just stepped out of the room and gently closed the door behind him.

The cravings started. He missed him already.

He ascended up the staircase from the basement and into the entrance of the living room, noticing a slight twitch in his fingers as his anxiousness set into its original slot in his brain and caused small vibrations, at first, of the longing of feeling safety and tampering around with that.

Rachel was pulling on a thick winter jacket as she stood by the door and waited for Awsten to be ready, offering him a small smile as he walked over towards her. He knew that he could just say that he had changed his mind, but he also felt the need to do this. There was no logical reason. His body just wanted to go back to the primary source of familiarity and not have to adapt to a new one, for a while.

His, Geoff's, thin hoodie was not enough to shield him from the nighttime winter chill that pounced and preyed on him as he made his way from the warm house to the car that was accepting the temperature, making its interior not much warmer than the exterior.

The frost, he supposed, was what was causing the windows to collect beads of dew along its glass as the inside of the car heated up, and the two sat in silence as the huddled themselves in their arms, relying on their body temperature while the thermostat slowly climbed its way higher.

He kept his eyes on the droplets of water that were comfortably sitting on the glass window by his side, regardless of how dark it was outside; the moonlight and street lights were enough to create little reflections and bends of illumination, enough for him to see. He watched as one line of water trailed down his window, amusing himself with another droplet as he watched it being fed and injected particles of water, little by little, until its weighted-down gravity became dominant over its grip and forced it to fall against its own will.

He stared straight through the windshield as the gentle hum of the motor started to crackle and pulse.

He could already tell that this was going to be a long drive home.