Day Before Tanabata

8/6/19

"Oh... that's right!" Judai realized, reading the notification that'd popped up on his phone while they were asleep. It was a calendar reminder, one of the usual ones that he'd get about upcoming holidays.

"What's up?" Yusei asked, not bothering to look up from where his head was currently buried into the pillow and Judai's hair.

"The Tanabata Festival is tomorrow," Judai replied, unlocking his phone so he could start looking up event locations in the city, "Well, the main day at least - there's always festivities beforehand."

"I haven't actually participated in that before," Yusei admitted, mumbling sleepily into his hair, "Didn't have the means to before, and then last year was such a mess that I just didn't bother."

"Well, we'll just have to fix that," Judai grinned, scrolling through a few of the lists he'd been able to find. It seemed that there'd be one relatively close-by that'd have all the classic food and game stalls, and there'd be plenty of bamboo trees set up for writing wishes, so he figured that was all they needed and went with it.

"...Don't we need yukata?" Yusei mentioned, finally sitting up a bit to look questioningly at him, "Neither of us have one."

"I mean, you don't have to have one to go to a festival, but it'd certainly be more fun," Judai answered, giving him a reassuring smile and brushing some of the other's bed-head out of his face, "Plus, it'll give you the full experience that way."

"How're we going to get ones before tomorrow, then?"

"Don't worry about that, let me handle it. You just focus on your work, okay?"

Yusei nodded, agreeing easily to letting him figure out the little details before yawning and fully sitting upright, "I'll try to get some extra done today, but... I might not be able to. It all depends on the results of the little experiment I'm doing for one of the other researchers right now."

"Even if you can't, we can just go after dinner tomorrow," Judai shrugged, not bothered in the slightest by the possibility and getting up himself so he could give Yusei a quick peck on the lips with a smile, "You don't usually work after dinner, plus the booths are always open super late because nighttime is when all the lights get turned on - people usually come out just to see how pretty they are."

He got another kiss in return for the reassurance before Yusei hopped out of bed with a slight huff, moving to clean himself up a bit before they went downstairs for breakfast. Watching Yusei go about washing his face and brushing his hair carefully made him smile fondly, though it also brought along another sudden realization.

"Oh whoa, I just realized somethin'," Judai laughed, catching the other's attention as Yusei paused mid brush to look at him with a hum, "We're lucky the city uses the lunar calendar for this holiday, or the festival would've been on your birthday!"

"Ah... you're right," Yusei blinked, laughing a little bit himself once the words registered, "Lucky me, I guess. I don't have to worry about the city being busier than usual on my birthday, nor the days around it."

"I dunno what I'd have done for your party if that were the case," Judai mused, entertaining the thought, "Probably only half of them would've been available to come for the whole day. Actually, now that I think about it, what are Crow and Jack doing tomorrow?"

"Don't ask me, I completely forgot that there was even a holiday tomorrow until you told me," Yusei stated, putting away the brush with a slight sigh before coming over to Judai once again and offering a hand up, "I'd guess that Jack is hanging out with Carly, though."

"Makes sense, but what about Crow then...?" Judai wondered before shaking his head, grabbing the offered hand with a grateful grin, "I suppose it doesn't really matter in the end, does it?"

Yusei hummed in acknowledgment, using the grip he now had on him to pull him into a nice, warm bear-hug that just made Judai regret crawling out of bed already, "We'll just ask them."

As Judai stood there, letting his hands roam a little as he enjoyed the peaceful moment, he started thinking about what kind of yukata to get for Yusei. Should he get a patterned one? A plain one?

He wanted to make sure he got it right after going over as many choices as he could, because he really wanted to see Yusei dressed up in a nice yukata - Judai was sure he'd look just as wonderful in it as all the other things he'd found for him to wear.