Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

Every wolf desires a pack. Every pack has two leaders... an Alpha and a Luna.

Smoke curled lazily about the Victorian style study. A distinguished looking gentleman with graying chestnut hair and a neatly trimmed beard sat behind a large wooden desk. Absently blowing smoke rings in the air, he indulged in his favorite cigar. A younger man with sharp dominant features, much like the older one, lounged patiently in a brown leather chair waiting for him to speak. Knowing what the conversation would most likely be, he was not anxious to begin. Besides, trying to initiate a conversation before his father was ready was futile. After a moment, Alpha John Mason looked at his oldest son.

"I don't know what to do Jonathan." The Alpha sighed, setting down his cigar on the rim of a crystal ashtray. "I'm getting older and you still haven't found a mate. Without one the council refuses to allow my title passed to you.  The number of young wolves looking for position are growing. The Challenge of the New Moon is coming in less than two months and I'm not sure I will be able to beat the new upstarts." Jonathan knew his father was still in his prime, but an old injury that had caused permanent damage to his right leg had left him with a slight limp. It was a weakness that he knew other wolves would prey upon.

"I never wanted to insist upon this, but you are going to have to accept that your mate, whoever she was, is dead.  You will have to find a replacement before the tourney, otherwise our family legacy may be lost."

Being thirty years and unmated was almost unheard of, especially for an Alpha's heir. When born, Werewolves are only half complete, the two halves of their souls immediately seeking each other as soon as they're able to shift. While some wolves can do this as early as twelve, most will shift at fifteen or sixteen. However, some wolves are so weak that they never shift at all. Regardless of when it occurs, at the age of seventeen all werewolves are able to sense their mates, as long as they have shifted or are of age.

Not daring to speak it out loud, everyone in the pack had long whispered that Jonathan's mate was dead. Or worse, that the Alpha's heir was cursed and not given one. Alpha males were known to be notoriously domineering and controlling. Unmated or widowed wolves were excessively cruel and unreasonable. Only a strong mate, called a Luna, could curb these tendencies and provide stability to the pack. Without a mate, male wolves are considered unfit to rule.

Within a pack, natural secession of the alpha title from father to son usually occurs without challenge. However, every twenty-five years, the alpha can be fought for his position. To be challenged, he must have held the position for at least a year and be Twenty years or older. The event always took place under a new moon when their wolves were at their weakest. Therefore, whoever won could not rely solely on the brute strength of his animal half, but also their human's ability to be cunning. Challenge fighting on a full moon was not permitted for fear that it would allow the savage side of their wolves to gain control. Without the influence of their human side there was a chance that the wolf would simply kill an opponent in a lustful haze of blood.

"I understand." Jonathan said solemnly.

He knew that his father was right. Putting off the inevitable was useless. But Jonathan also felt that having a mate would shackle him down. He wanted to be free. After all, his father had already passed down to him many of the Alpha responsibilities and authority.  He didn't lust for the title. Jonathan enjoyed women a great deal and had several lovers that understood his needs. However, despite knowing their aspirations he would never consider them for his Luna. To him, women were nothing more than bed warmers. He would never allow anything more than that.

And love? That was fool's folly. It was an immediate request for pain. He only wanted a mate because of his wolf, and because soulmates made two individuals stronger and more powerful. As a silver wolf, the abilities of his mate would only be compounded before becoming his own. Perhaps he would find a woman with a black wolf that would give him enhanced super strength. Or, if he was lucky, a rare red wolf that was known for their intelligence. It was not unheard of that one's mate was completely human. Some wolves, high ranking ones especially, have rejected human mates because there was only a 50% chance that they would have wolf offspring. Such a denial was not something to be taken lightly. Once a bond is broken, there was no guarantee that a new bond would form with another.

A mate he needed, so a powerful one he would find. His wolf immediately rebelled against the idea of claiming anyone that wasn't his true half. Pushing aside his wolf's concern, the younger man nodded. "If I haven't found her in the next month, I will select a mate from within the pack."

When Jonathan stood up to leave, his father felt only sorrow. He and his mate had looked forward to their children finding the love and happiness they both shared. But now, faced with their oldest son being forced to pick a female wolf that was not his destiny was heartbreaking. It felt like a failure on their parts, even though it was completely out of their hands.

"I wish there was another way son." The remorse in his father's voice made him pause.

"But there isn't." Jonathan replied, firmly opening the door and exiting.