Chapter 39

CHAPTER 39

Jonathan was sitting in his office when a hard knock sounded off the door. Frowning at the interruption, he had planned to quickly finish his work.  Eli insisted that he take Tracy out. Jonathan sighed at his wolf's constant badgering. Knowing she resented him for all his sexual misconduct, he was afraid to ask her for a date. When a second knock broke his thoughts, he knew from the scent that it was his father's former Beta.

When an Alpha's power is transferred, so is the positions of everyone that holds rank. The title of "Beta" was given to the former Beta's son, Erik. Jordan Baines now held the rank of Senior Sub Beta. If some unexpected tragedy befell the current Beta, the Senior Sub Beta would be asked to fill the position, either permanently or until someone else was trained.

"Come in." Jonathan called out, laying aside the papers he had been reviewing.

"Alpha." Jordan greeted the younger man respectfully.

"What can I do for you?" Jonathan asked.

--------------

Tracy and Carla had been guilted into attending graduation by Laura.  She didn't want to miss the special event and needed pictures of "her babies", referring to the girls. 
Grumbling about attending the long ceremony, they felt it was unlikely the school would refuse to issue their diplomas if they weren't there.

Tracy and Carla were proud of what they had accomplished in training the Omegas. The trainees had come far with their skills. Practice had just ended for the day when Tracy made the announcement to her ranks.  "We fight in 5 days." She said, standing on top of a truck bed, as everyone gathered around. "You're going up against non-ranking pack wolves and a Gamma. These pack wolves will be stronger, with routine training for many years. Landon has advanced training and is a skilled fighter. The good news is... they won't know what hit them." Everyone cheered, suddenly stopping when they recognized a stranger standing slightly off in the distance. Puzzled, Tracy looked at Carla who stood there in a daze. Feeling a bit concerned, she didn't sense that the stranger was a threat.

"Can we help you?" Tracy called out.

Ignoring the question, he walked forward.

"D-dad?" Carla said. Stuttering so quietly that only Tracy heard it.

Looking away from Carla towards the stranger, Tracy realized it was her father, Jackson. Sensing their need for privacy, she announced. "Everyone! Please head back to the house, we're done for the day."

When the Omegas left, Tracy turned to Carla. "You want me to leave too?" 

Carla took a deep breath. "No. that's not necessary." She tried to say it strongly but the slight quiver in her voice indicated otherwise.

Clearing her throat as Jackson approached them, Carla asked him bluntly. "Does Alpha Mason know you're here?"

"Yes." He said, his dark eyes turning a golden brown. "I've missed you Poppet." Julius said, tears gathering in his eyes.

"Julius?" Carla whispered with a watery smile. "You're here!"

Julius pulled her close, holding her tightly. Carla was shocked by the affection. Neither her dad or Julius ever showed much of it in the past.  For once she felt the depth of her father's love and it was overwhelming.

Jackson spoke again. "I came for two reasons. I needed to find you. The second reason, well that's a long story. It's probably best if you and the Luna come with me. Alpha Mason, Erik, and Reilly will be accompanying us."

"To where?"

"To the home of my second chance mate."

-------------