Chapter 38

CHAPTER 38

The Sprite kingdom was harmonious with the natural ways of their world. Using abandon nests, mud, sticks, branches, vines, and beeswax to create dwellings, they blended their lifestyle with the elements that encompassed their world. Instead of forcing the landscape to suit their needs, they built their world among the hills, hallows, and trees of the forest.

Asiling had used the magic of Elven, a race of long deceased fairies, to shrink Roger down to size. Now roughly six inches tall, he stood at the dwelling of the Queen, the average height of a  male Sprite.

Queen Rosa had ruled over the fairy world for centuries. But shadows were haunting her dreams. 

"Hunter Evans! It is good to see you again." She said. Her melodic voice singing out to him.

"Your majesty. It has been many years since we last spoke." Roger said, admiring her unwavering beauty. He realized that all fairy folks maintained their youthful appearance.  Despite the  queen's age, she would remain forever young. Her moss green eyes twinkled like dew in sunlight, while her tawny blonde curls flowed beyond her shoulders down her back.

"You're as beautiful as ever."

^Queen Rosa (imagine with wings)^

"Why thank you." She said preeningly."We have much to discuss.  But first it would be best if you eat and rest." She beckoned for a servant.

Knowing that he could not decline without appearing rude, Roger followed the maid into the inviting space. There he was seated at a long wooden table and given a mushroom stew and dandelion greens salad.  For dessert it was gooseberry tarts. The Sprites were able to grow their food daily. In colder weather the light, water, and nature Sprites worked together to help their plants grow while everyone else was given the assignments to help tend the garden or cook the meals.

After eating the light meal, Roger knew that a bigger dinner awaited him. Laying on a comfortable down mattress he took a brief nap until another maid came to let him know that the queen was ready to see him. He was led to a dining hall where all the fairy folk usually assembled for their meals. Given the lateness of the hour and the emptiness of the hall, Roger assumed that dinner had already been served.  Cleared for the rest of the fairy folks, all that remained was the queen and himself.

"I hope everything has been to your satisfaction." She said after Roger had taken a seat in a driftwood chair embellished with vines. A maid came forward to serve a platter of whole roasted quail, tender crisp asparagus, and potatoes.

"The food is excellent." Roger said as the maid left the room.

A long quiet ensued as Roger consumed his meal. Silence while eating was a sign of politeness among Sprites, and no one spoke until he had finished.

After a dessert of honeyed fruits and nuts, the queen stood and invited Roger to walk with her. Growing to a height of 4 feet 10 inches she lead the way towards the woods. Roger's normal height of 5 feet 11 inches was restored as soon as he exited the castle gates. The evening was beautiful with an almost full moon hovering just above the horizon, casting a silvery glow on the world below. The air smelled fresh and pure as a gentle breeze tickled the senses. Silent, Queen Rosa's wings fluttered gracefully behind her. Roger knew better than to speak.  Attempting to press a Sprite into a conversation was like trying to pry open a clam shell with broken finger nails.