Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

The Evans family were new to the area of Lythberg. Laura Evans had found a position as assistant principal at Sachel Randolph Senior High School. She had moved there with her 17-year-old daughter Tracy and her father-in-law Roger Evans.  He had been living with them since his wife died 12 years ago. Roger wanted to stay behind because he didn't want to burden his daughter in law after his son Frank, Laura's husband, was killed. But Laura and Tracy weren't hearing it. Their new life in a new town with a new job would be a perfect change from the heartbreak of their old home.

 Their new life in a new town with a new job would be a perfect change from the heartbreak of their old home

^Tracy Evans^

Tracy was always optimistic with her life. Practical by nature, it kept her grounded. But her father's death had been particularly difficult. He was an awesome dad, great husband, and dedicated police officer. It all ended one night when he answered a call from a young girl who lived in a bad neighborhood. The mother was being assaulted by her ex. When Tracy's father arrived, he managed to arrest the perpetrator, but was killed by a group of thugs that remained unidentified. Coming to a new place had helped them heal. No longer stifled by all the surrounding memories, they were trying to move on with their lives.

 No longer stifled by all the surrounding memories, they were trying to move on with their lives

^Laura Evans^

Laura didn't want her daughter to feel suffocated, given that she would be the new assistant principal at Tracey's school. She had arranged to buy a used car for Tracy to make the 20-minute drive every day. It was a loving gesture by her mother. Tracy responded by finding a small job at the local library to help make the car and phone payments. It was a burden she refused to let fall upon Laura. Helping with the bills had given the young girl a sense of pride.

Lytheburg stretched between the foothills of a densely forested Sky Ridge Mountain Range. It was a small city that boasted its own private college. Their ranch style house was about 30 minutes from center city.  The drive there from their house traversed narrowly paved back roads almost the entire way. 

They had moved into their house exactly two weeks before school began. This allowed Laura to start her job early,  giving them sufficient time to settle in. The first day for Tracy was on a Monday, and she could hardly contain her excitement. Always able to make friends easily, she was enthusiastic about the prospect of meeting new people.  Even though her previous friends were considered losers by most, she didn't care. To her, attempting any kind of a relationship with the 'normals' was like poison to her soul.  They always seemed to be so jealous of her . The popular ones were twice as bad because she never gave a crap about their rank or status. Overall, she tended to be well liked, never taking anyone's bullshit without a fight.