Chapter 61

CHAPTER 61

9 days ago...

It was two in the morning when Tracy and Jordan pulled over from exhaustion. Attempting to put as much distance between them and Dark Valley as possible, they had driven into the night without stopping. Sticking to the back roads, Jordan made sure to stay clear of any towns and major highways. 

Even then, the six foot metal cage was garnering too much unwanted attention. Fortunately, Jane had thrown the gloves inside the truck bed before she was taken.  Parking in the woods, just outside a small town, Jordan used the gloves to lift the cage off the the truck bed.  Then he left to find fuel and supplies. Tracy stayed behind to rest and guard their camp.

She had already started a small fire. And with water that she had gathered earlier from a nearby creek, managed to clean up Lady Anna as best she could. Delirious, Lady Anna kept crying for Jane, begging the nightmarish tormentors to release her sister. Tracy  wept at her distress as she used a damp cloth to wipe the woman's troubled brow.  Picturing Carla's face every now and then, she couldn't help but imagine her own best friend's death. It was a heart wrenching thought.

Realizing Tracy's distress, Jordan wrapped a comforting arm around her shoulders.  Not saying anything, he held her close to him. Feeling comforted by the embrace, it reminded her of her father.  It was something he would've done. After a while Jordan walked around to the truck bed and laid down in it. Once Tracy was satisfied with Lady Anna's comfort, she did the same, both of them falling asleep.

-------------

Jordan didn't like the idea of going to Rogue Ranch.  But given that they had no idea where the vampire allies were, they didn't have much choice. When they arrived, the gates were shut so Jordan pressed the intercom call button.

"Whadya want?" came a disgruntled voice.

"We need to speak with Dameon Wilde."

"Well, he don't wanna speak with you.  So git."

"Can you tell him that the Protector wants an audience." Tracy yelled.

A moment later the gates swung open.

"I still don't like this." Jordan said, popping the stick into gear.

"We don't have a choice."

"There's always a choice."

"No there really isn't. The author couldn't come up with anything better and she doesn't have a clue of what's going to happen next."

"Oh great," Jordan said rolling his eyes. "How long is it going to take her to figure this out."

"Shh... don't rush her. One time she had writer's block. It took two months for her to get over it. She can come up with some good stuff when it passes."

"How was burning down an armory a good idea?"

"Would you want to sleep on a nasty man-whore mattress?"

"Did she have to burn down the whole armory?"

"Are we still talking about this?"

(Author's Note: Yeah I still got nothing... uughh... let's go inside and see what happens... One time I had to tell hubby something, I got to the base of the stairs and forgot. I still walked up to the third floor and called his name. He looked at me expectantly and... blankness. I still have no idea why I went up there. Oh wait! I just remembered where I was going with this).

When they walked in, the whole house was completely wrecked. People were passed out on the lawn and inside the house. The smell of vomit, marijuana, alcohol, sex, and stale urine were overwhelming.