Chapter 9

CHAPTER 9

Tracy found her grandfather in the kitchen of the huge house.  Seated at a stainless steel counter by one of the commercial stoves, he was about to indulge in a pan of hot yeast rolls that a cook had just pulled from the oven. Piping hot, he was just about to butter one when his granddaughter appeared. 

"Grandpa!" She said, taking a seat next to him.

"Hey little Piggie."  smiling when he used her old nickname. "Just in time for life's simple pleasure. Grab a plate and help yourself." Ignoring his request and the rich aromas of the baked bread, she addressed him in an exhausted tone.

"Grandpa!  What's going on here?" she asked wearily.

"It's a long story honey. Probably one best left to Mr. Mason's discretion."

"What happened to the twins?"

"They're fine. The doctor is taking a look at them.  Not to worry.  I'm sure the injured boy will recover in no time at all." 

"Do you know where my clothes are?"

"Mrs. Mason saw that they were dirty and torn, so she offered to wash them. She changed you into that dress. Said it was the least she could do. The dress looks nice on you, by the way." Roger said, snatching up another buttered roll, "Sure you don't want one?"

"No thanks."

"Really?" he chuckled, "First time I've ever seen you turn down vittles."

Tracy smiled, "I guess I'm just anxious."

"Sir? Miss? The Alpha will see you now." an elderly  woman said after catching their attention.

"Let's go." Roger said quickly.

------------------

The conference room was quiet when John Mason sat down. Seated at the head of the table, Jonathan sat to his right, with Mr. Baines, the chemistry teacher, on the left. When Tracy saw Mr. Baines, she wondered about her mother's date with him. Remembering how she had fallen asleep before finding anything out. Tracy had to rush off the next morning to meet Jack and his friends to study. Laura wasn't awake to tell her how it went.

Tracy sat across from her grandfather in the middle of the long table. Clearing his throat, John Mason spoke. "Mr. Evans. I am aware that you are a Born Hunter. What is it that you hunt?"

"What?" Tracy blurted out. Shocked at the inference that Roger Evans had ever killed anything in his life, she attempted, briefly, to defend him. "My grandfather is not a hunter. He never liked it, ever." She said. Hearing this, her grandfather turned to confront Tracy with the truth. Aware of what she had known him to be, Roger realized that he had some explaining to do.

"Tracy, do you remember those stories I used to tell you about the family of warriors in Africa?" 

Tracy's brows furrowed as she tried to remember, "Not really. I know it was something about the Cradle of Life, and the beginning of man." 

"That's right. It started long ago when the world was in chaos. Cast out from the heavens because they rebelled against the Creator, powerful beings walked among mankind. Some were good, others bad. The good ones became man's friend, determined to see  his survival. Others hid themselves away. A few of the bad ones joined with others to destroy man. To these beings, man represented the figure that cast them down.

The place they were sent was known as the Cradle of Life, the heart of Africa. It was there that man was first formed upon the Earth. From that place, they divided themselves into groups. Most of these creatures could take the form of man. At first, there were struggles among them for domination and power. Each faction wanted to destroy their rivals.  Almost all of them wanted mankind gone.

Tired of being preyed upon, a group of men climbed to the highest peak to beg their Creator for the ability to kill these creatures. Only one made it to the top. He was a Nubian warrior named  Jabari. The Creator granted his request and gave the warrior and his children powers. Jabari and his two of his younger sons were given the ability to destroy animal hybrids such as the Wanaume Mbweha, the Jackal Men. We call them Werewolves. They had killed his wife and had taken over his village. His two oldest sons were given the ability to kill Muuaji Damu, Vampires. Another two of his sons killed Witches and Sorcerers, the youngest son, evil sprites and fairies. Altogether he had seven sons.

They called themselves 'Wawindaji,' The Hunters, because of the Hunter's mark they carried. Together they recruited regular men and trained them, instructing these warriors to drive the creatures away from humans. When a war broke out, many of the creatures, like the Wanaume Mbweha, wanted a truce. Others, like the vampires, wanted to enslave men and use them for food and labor. The sprites and witches, wanted to destroy man all together.

After many years of war, Jabari's only daughter, Adanya, turned 13 years old. On that day, the tide of war turned. Adanya had been hiding with the wives and children of the warriors that were fighting. The enemy broke through the lines and managed to reach the hide away to take hostages. Alone, Adanya killed over 200 different creatures that day.

She had the light speed and cunning spirit of a Sprite. The strength and enhanced senses of a werewolf. Rapid healing and nocturnal vision of a vampire. And the power to manipulate the elements and spiritual forces some call "magic." Her scent remained human so that supernaturals could not distinguish her from other humans, which allowed her to blend into a crowd. She was a super Hunter, but did not kill or fight unless provoked. Her powers worked to protect the helpless. Instead of being Wawindaji, she instead became known as Mlinzi, The Protector.

Soon after the victory, Jabari met with leaders of the supernaturals.  A peace treaty was drawn allowing all creatures to integrate themselves within human society. They would no longer kill or cause harm to human inhabitants. To insure a safe co-existence, all supernaturals would hide their true identity. In return, the Hunters would help with their transition, canceling the efforts of humans that tried to capture or kill their kind.

Enraged at the idea of making peace with the one time killers, Ekon, one of Jabari's sons, attempted to restart the war by killing werewolf pups. Adanya, his sister intervened. When a struggle ensued, she was forced to kill her own brother to protect the  innocent.

Since then, only females were ever born Protectors. In the history of modern time, no known Protector has ever existed for over three hundred years......Until now. Until you."