Chapter 65

CHAPTER 65

5 days ago...

The doctor had declared Lady Anna fit to leave her room.  Well enough to be questioned, Cade clasped her hand in Dameon office as Gideon began his inquiry. Dameon stood next to the window with a noticeable scowl on his face. Being anywhere in the vicinity of an official, werewolf or otherwise, would make any rogue nervous.

Lady Anna and Cade had decided that no matter the consequences they would find a way to be together. They were ready to plead their cause to the Vampire Council, the Royals, and even the High Council of all supernaturals. They would live as rogues if it came down to it.

Gideon methodically asked his questions in a clinical sort of way.  He felt this would help ease their minds of the circumstances they faced. Occasionally he would ask Tracy, Jordan, or the doctor a question to confirm or clarify a piece information. What he asked about the most regarded Jane Farlow and her death. Tracy assumed that it was probably because she was a vampire. He had to somehow document her death.

When the Inquiry was complete the door opened and Lucy stepped into the room. Her silky black complexion glistened under the dull light. Mesmerized by her appearance, Tracy wondered if it was the reflections off her jewelry that made her eyes and skin glow with a golden sheen. 

"Allow me to extend my condolences to Cade and Lady Cloud, and to you Lord Blood." She said sincerely.

Tracy's brows scrunched.  'Lord Blood? Gideon? I wonder what happened? She thought.

"Since you are done with your official report, I think its best you read this letter that I've been saving for this moment."

Gideon took the envelope from Lucy's hand. Removing the contents, he unfolded the letter and skimmed over the text, his usual stoic expression giving nothing away. .

"Where did you get this?" He said, looking at her perplexed.

"It was hidden In the sheath of the Ebony Sword."

Gideon raised a brow. "I was unaware that any of those still existed. How was it obtained?" 

"Never mind that. What does the letter say?"  Lady Ana snapped, less concerned about the origin of an ancient artifact.

"It rescinds your place as Successor to Lord Parrish." Startled by the news, Lady Anna gasped as  Cade appeared to grin uncontrollably.

"Instead of Successor, you have been named heir and appointee of Lady Jane Parrish."

"What does that mean?" Tracy asked.

"When Jane married Lord Parrish, she became head of Dark Valley Coven. By appointing another to the role, she basically handed the reigns of power to Lady Cloud. But now that... Jane..." Gideon hesitated.  Having difficulty speaking, he cleared his throat and continued. "But now that Jane is gone, Anna is now the head of Dark Valley."

"I don't understand. She never mentioned this to me. Jane was completely against marrying him." 

"The letter states that it was the only way he would take back his claim. As his official bride, Jane would have the right of successorship. In terms of your claim on Cade; and as unorthodox as it may be, your relationship can now be sanctioned by the Vampire Council and the Royals."

Both Cade and Anna wrapped their arms around each other. Excited by the news, the relief and joy on their faces were palatable. Everyone was happy for them.

"Bless Jane for all that she did. She sacrificed so much." Lady Anna said, as tears of sorrow and happiness rolled down her face.

"It wasn't a sacrifice.  It was love." Tracy spoke quietly, remembering when Jane had said how Lady Anna was her Spirit Sister. 

Lady Anna wept openly as Gideon slipped silently away.

--------------

The cactus garden was just as intriguing as before. Every time Tracy turned around there was something new for her to see. But the peaceful quiet and beautiful setting was not why she had come back.

"Where have you been?" She asked the dark figure, after tucking in a strand of hair that had blown in her face from the warm breeze. Lucy sat quietly on a stone  bench that was shaded  from the glaring heat by a palm tree. 

"Not far."  She said, turning to Tracy with a smile.

"I was simply putting things in order before we left."

"So, you're coming with us?"

"Yes. If we are to defeat Prince Grim, we must retrieve the other six swords and find the ones who are able to wield them. You are one of the few." 

"How did he escape and why is he back?" Tracy asked.

"He was released from his prison by the Prime Purity. We don't know much about them other than their desire to possess the journal.  Apparently, they'll stop at nothing to get what they want."

"What do they want?"

"They desire the power to enforce their ideals on every creature in existence. It was Ivory White's writings that inspired them to follow this path. The horror that they're willing to inflict on others is boundless. Fanatically dedicated to their cause, Prince Grim is their ally.  He must be stopped."

Suddenly Gideon walked towards them. His minty scent seemed strange to Tracy.  She realized that she had never noticed it before. "The Royal Guard will take care of Prince Grim. Tracy will not be fighting." He said stoically.

"I'm afraid that when the time comes there won't be much choice."

"She must not fight!  We cannot afford to lose her!" Gideon again sounded adamant.

"Um, what?" Tracy asked, baffled at the concern and agitation in the vampire's mannerisms.

"Another time child. You must rest now.  Tomorrow our journey to the council meeting begins. We have another passenger to pick up."

======================================

Hmm... wonder what's up with Gideon.

Theories? I love to hear them but sorry can't give any spoilers away.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if you notice any plot holes.

Thanks!