Chapter 10

CHAPTER 10

When Roger finally stopped talking, Tracy took a deep breath. Looking apprehensively into her grandfather's eyes she said, "But I don't understand. I thought they were just bed time stories you made up." Tracy was puzzled with all that she had heard. It was so unbelievable. Studying the faces of the people around the table, she expected a big 'Gotcha!' moment, instead, everyone stared at her in quiet approval.

"What does all this mean?" Tracy finally asked; still puzzled about the whole thing.

"This is our history. We are descendant of Adanya. Usually females display their powers at the age of 13. Council members have always kept a close eye out for another Protector. When you were 13, one of the head Hunters suspected that you were the one. When he tested you for any supernatural tendencies, you displayed none. The council ruled you out."

Tracy closed her eyes trying to absorb all the info, unable to reason through it because nothing, to her, made sense. She remembered a strange occurrence once, with a woman from the Middle East. Wearing a hijab, she asked if her grandfather's training would secure her a spot in a special school overseas.

"So what are you?" She asked, repeating the same question John Mason had inquired of him.

"I'm a Born Hunter. I have the ability to kill and capture Sprites, small fairy like creatures that cause mischief. For the most part they're harmless, but a few want to destroy for no good. With the exception of appearance, Fairies and Sprites are basically the same. Fairies have narrower wings and tend to favor pastels and natural colors. Sprites have shorter, wider wings and favor bold colors."

"What about Elves?" Tracy asked curiously.

"They're mostly extinct. Elves are an ancient race of beings that chose to inhabit the earth. They were here long before the others were cast down." Roger said. "Sprites and Fairies answer to a single ruler, Queen Rosa. Gentle in spirit, her followers are generally peaceful creatures. However, a few years back, A marauding lot wanted to join rogue vampires to kill all the people in a town. This group had become angry over the amount of pollution a factory was producing. Luckily, I only had to round them up, then convince the Town Council, for their own good, to hire an environmental lawyer. Sprites were happy with the new laws that enforced stricter regulations on emissions. A vampire Hunter was able to get the rogues to disburse."

Overwhelmed by it all, Tracy sat quietly at the table. Studying Roger's concerned face, she looked again at the others in the room. Expecting negative reactions to her grandfather's nonsense, they continued to look just as serious. Then she gazed at Jonathan. Staring intensely at her with his green eyes, she became mesmerized by his presence. Feeling an intense spirit grow inside her, she was unable to understand the attractiveness. It made her whole body feel alive and lustful. She quickly looked away.

"So, are you saying there are vampires and werewolves living in this world?"

"Yes!" Replied Roger, emphatically.

"Well, where are they, exactly?" She said curiously, still expecting this all to be just a big joke.

Roger looked towards the table end where John Mason sat emotionless, then he sighed. Turning back to Tracy he said softly. "Close your eyes." Tracy shook her head incredulously, doing what her grandfather requested. "What do you smell?" he asked.

"Mostly him." Tracy said, blindly pointing towards where Jonathan was sitting. "I have no idea what cologne he's wearing but it's freaking AWESOME!" She sang out.

Roger looked at the man and blinked. Realizing the protective and possessive gleam in Jonathan's eyes, he couldn't believe his granddaughter had a werewolf mate. Sighing again, he thought about her inexperience with this sort of thing, and how she didn't believe that such creatures existed. How was he ever going to explain to her the concept of mates?