Chapter 13. Longing for you Part 1

Zane's P.O.V

I could sense that Theo didn't want to do anything with me, the moment I touched him. He had made the decision to reject me years ago so I couldn't blame him for this. Theo had all the time in the world to cope with the loss so he had probably already forgotten about me. I had just found out that he was my true mate and why he had rejected me so no one could blame me for acting needy. I would be lying if I told you that I didn't understand why Theo had made the decision to reject me. Theo belonged to a powerful family and he would be automatically taking over his father's position when it was time for him to step down.

I knew a lot about the supernatural world so knew that supernatural creatures went after your mate if they wanted to harm you. If Theo had told me the truth that day and if we had gotten mated, then I would have had to be protected twenty four hours a day. I had hopes and dreams at that time so it would have made it really difficult for me to make something of myself. Theo, as the next alpha king had probably realized that I wasn't ready to be in a relationship like that then and he was certainly right about that. He had heard me give a speech about my hopes and dreams and probably thought that I needed time to reach my goals. My heart ached when I realized what a difficult decision that must have been to make for the then eighteen year old Theo. I was truly thankful to Theo that he had given me a chance to become the man that I was now. It was time for me to pay Theo back for his kindness so I wasn't going to let go of him that easily.

Theo caught my eye the very first day that I came into this town and I couldn't get him out of my mind no matter how hard I tried. Theo was helping a woman carry her child and her shopping bag to her car the first time that I saw him. The child kept giggling in Theo's arms while he was nuzzling him and I asked myself how someone could act so lovingly towards a child that wasn't his own. I saw Theo for the second time in front of Alex's school and he was then hugging his sister. I couldn't take my eyes off Theo then and not because he was gorgeous but because I kept feeling like I owed him something. Theo didn't know this but I had been dreaming about him since we met each other at the restaurant. I was someone who loved helping others back then so felt guilty about not listening to him when he approached me. I definitely felt something when he tapped on my shoulder to get my attention that day but I didn't realize that it was our mate bond that was calling out to me. Theo looked more like a fifteen year old boy than a eighteen year old young man back then so I didn't put much thought into it.

I actually went to look for Theo after my friends had stopped harassing me but he had already left. I even tried asking the waiters who worked at the restaurant if they knew the boy who had approached me but they all said that they were too busy to notice what was going on around them. I became angry when I realized that I had failed in giving someone the attention that they needed. I grabbed a beer and then went to sit in a corner to avoid everyone. Robert immediately noticed that something was wrong and came to join me. He asked me the moment he sat down beside me "Why is there a sullen look on your face at such a happy occasion, Zane?" I sighed when I remembered that Robert wasn't at the restaurant when the boy had approached me and then told him about everything.

I kept asking Robert questions like "What if the boy was in a dire situation and needed me to save him?" and he just shrugged his shoulder at me. Robert groaned loudly when I couldn't stop coming up with troubling scenarios regarding the boy. He then put his hand on my shoulder and said "You have got to understand that you can't save everyone Zane. Just concentrate on fulfilling your dreams and becoming the man you always pictured yourself to be. We're still young my friend so who knows, maybe you'll meet each other in the future and you can then listen to him to your hearts content." I never told Robert about this but I kept having dreams about the incident throughout the years. It was like my soul was telling me not to forget about the boy.