Chapter 39. Zane's fears Part 1

Zane's P.O.V

I went back to my office after making plans with Theo. Theo had to go back to his pack to make arrangements before joining me at work again. I didn't see Theo for the rest of the day despite being in the same building with him. Theo and I often didn't see each other at work. It was normal because we worked on different floors and with different people. Theo would soon leave the firm. He had other duties to fulfill. It was nice having him close to me, but I had personally experienced how busy he was. Theo had to monitor packs around the world while making sure that his businesses didn't suffer any losses.

I decided to prepare the contract that my in-laws had requested the moment I reached my office. It was quite easy because my father-in-law Heracles had already provided the information that I needed to complete the job. I busied myself with other cases after I finished the contract. The odd thing was that I couldn't shake the strange feeling that I had been having since that morning. It felt like something horrible was about to happen. I put my hand on my stomach while pondering what it could be.

I groaned when Robert suddenly walked into my office without knocking. "You are not going to believe this, Zane," uttered Robert while taking a seat. I glared at my best friend when I saw him smirk at me. I was in no mood for guessing games, so I responded to Robert with, "I don't have all day, Robert. Just tell me what you are talking about". Robert chuckled then asked me, "Oh, are we cranky today, Zane. Is my little nephew giving you trouble?" I shook my head at Robert while thinking about how I couldn't wait for him to find his mate.

I frowned at Robert when I heard him say: "A man and a woman came to the firm looking for Bella today." Bella was one of our close friends. Robert and I went to law school with her. Bella chose to study family law while Robert and I studied corporate law and other laws. I hired Bella when I started my firm in LA. She was currently a well-known family lawyer with a hundred percent success rate. Bella was quite expensive, so only rich people came to see her. I couldn't understand why Robert was telling me about her clients. I sighed then uttered: "I'm sure that Bella gets a lot of visitors each day, Robert. So what makes these two people so unique?"

I looked in shock at Robert when I heard him respond to me with, "The thing that makes these two people unique is that they have the guts to go against the Zelus family. They seem to be Neziah Bloodstone's grandparents. They told Bella that their daughter's wish was to raise the child on her own. They shared their grief with Bella, and she was quite moved by it. They told her that they want to fulfill their daughter's wish by fighting for Neziah's custody." I couldn't help but smirk when I realized that a DNA test would easily prove who's child Neziah was. Robert looked puzzled at me. He probably thought that I had gone nuts.

Robert thought that I held a grudge against my in-laws. I had never tried to explain to him that things were going well between us now. Robert probably believed that I was going to use this case as an excuse to go against my in-laws. If I took matters into my own hands, then it would be grandparents versus grandparents. And trust me, that would be quite a spectacle to see. I burst out laughing when I heard Robert say, "Get it out of your head, Zane. Theo will never forgive you if you go against his parents."

I smiled at my best friend then grabbed the contract that I had prepared for my in-laws. I then said to Robert while quickly getting up from my seat, "Only people with a deathwish would dare to go against the Zelus family, Robert. I'm one of the Zelus family members now. People who plot against us don't deserve to live. Ask Bella to arrange a meeting with Neziah's so-called grandparents for us. I'm sure that my in-laws will like to get acquainted with them soon."

Robert quickly stood up when he realized that I was about to leave. He then asked me in concern, "Where are you going in a hurry, Zane?" I chuckled while looking at my watch to see what time it was. It was already six o'clock, so I needed to leave before I was late for dinner. I quickly walked up to Robert then said to him while putting my hand on his shoulder, "I'll explain everything to you tomorrow, my friend. I have to go to the underworld to have dinner with my family now. The kings won't be happy if I'm late." Robert looked in shock at me when he heard me mention the underworld and the kings.