Chapter 61. A promise.

Zeus's P.O.V

A month soon flew by, and Ian had to go back to work. We didn't have any difficulties looking after the kids when Ian stayed home. Margaret and Cain were always around like unwanted weeds to lend a helping hand. I also stopped by from time to time to check on the kids and my mate. Margaret and Cain offered to babysit the kids while Ian fulfilled his duties. I had been observing Ian's parents for weeks now. I didn't appreciate the way they handled the kids. They pampered the twins too much. I knew that the kids would cause them trouble when Ian and I weren't around. Ian's parents were entirely confident that they could handle the twins, so I didn't enlighten them. I gleefully wouldn't be surprised if they came crying to us later.

The first week of our absence went great. I was even surprised by how smooth things went. I hadn't expected Ian's parents to survive without us for so long. The odd thing was that my father, Kasadya, avoided Daria and Verrine at all costs. "He's maybe afraid of them," I thought to myself while laughing. It was already Monday, and Ian and I were getting ready for work. Ian gasped when his mother suddenly appeared in our bedroom.

He knew what I was capable of when people disrespected my privacy. Margaret seemed stressed out, so I chose not to make any remarks. Her hands were shaking heavily, and her clothes were a mess. I could sense what she was about to say. I pretended not to care while tying my tie. Ian grabbed his mother's hand, then asked her, "What's wrong, mom?"

Margaret sighed while caressing Ian's cheek. "Oh, this is going to be good," I thought to myself while crossing my arms over my chest. Margaret led Ian to our bed, then sat down. I huffed while looking at her. Margaret forced a smile on her face, then uttered, "Your father and I love Daria and Verrine very much, but we can't look after them anymore, Ian. We tried to control them, but they are too smart. They try to dominate us when we scold them for doing something bad." Without taking a breath Ian's mother rambled on, "They hid for hours last week and enjoyed watching us suffer. It's frustrating when kids don't obey you. Daria and Verrine are always active. They change their forms and follow people around, like ghosts. They open their eyes as soon as you put them to bed. They are up to mischief before you know it. They won't calm down no matter what you do. Your father and I won't survive if this keeps up. Please find someone else to look after the kids, son. I will be here to supervise the babysitter in your stead, I promise."

"Wow, her list of things to complain about is pretty long," I thought to myself while stroking my chin. I chuckled while thinking about the kids, then said, "Don't worry, Margaret. I knew that you guys wouldn't be able to handle the twins for long. They have my blood, so it's normal for them to act like they are high on crack." Ian growled at me, then yelled, "Watch what you say about the kids, Zeus!" I sighed while running my fingers through my hair. It seemed like Ian saw our kids like cute little angels while they were devils. I walked closer to Ian, then said to him while stroking his head, "You better accept the reality, Ian. Daria and Verrine are very dominant children. They need someone powerful to lead them. You and I are already busy with work. We need to find someone who can handle them soon." Ian groaned then asked me, "Who do you have in mind, Zeus?"

I heard Irena's voice the moment Ian uttered those words. Irena was singing the French song "Répondez-Moi" while hanging clothes to dry in the garden. Neziah was diligently handing the articles of clothing one by one to his grandmother. Asa and Segen were looking curiously at their grandmother and Neziah from their strollers. Ian and Margaret stood up from the bed to gaze at Irena and the kids. We could see everything from the bedroom window. I guess this was one of the perks of having your family members as your neighbors. Your family members wouldn't mind if you peeked at them. I burst out laughing when the kids started humming the French song along with Irena. Ian's mother huffed suddenly, then asked her son, "What is she doing, Ian. They have maids, right?" Ian chuckled, then responded to his mother with, "It's probably her way of enjoying the weather with the kids."