Empress Of Mars pt.2

"You'll regret this! In a couple of hours, you'll be begging for help!" a while later the Doctor is using his sonic screwdriver.

"Oh. There's no setting for wood. Why is there still no setting for wood?" the Doctor asks looking at me.

"I don't know. Don't ask me."

"But, you've got a plan?" Bill asks.

"Yes, of course, I've got a plan. I'm all plans. I'm made of plans" the Doctor replies.

"Who the deuce are you three, really? You speak of us as though we're a different species. You seem to know all about these, these Ice Warriors. You seem to know a lot about most things" Godsacre says.

"Well, we're sort of police," Bill says.

"Speak for yourself," the Doctor says.

"What, you can deal with big green Martians and, and, and rocket ships, but you can't deal with us being the police?" Bill asks looking at Godsacre who is chuckling.

"No, no, no, no, no. It's just such a fanciful notion. Women in the police force."

"Listen, yeah? I'm going to make allowances for your Victorian attitudes because, well, you actually are Victorian. But, but anyway. Is it true? You deserted? Why?"

"Oh, cowardice. Simple cowardice. I thought I had it in me to command, Miss Potts, but when push came to shove I, I flunked it, deserted my post. Catchlove's the only one who knew and he's bled me dry. It could have been a fresh start for all of us."

"How's it looking out there?" Bill asks.

"All quiet. It's traditional at this point to say, too quiet" I say.

*Time Skip*

Two men are taking sips of water, moving boxes of ammo around.

"Always liked the Colonel, I did. Seemed a decent chap."

"Well, we must take orders from the Captain now, son. Them's the rules."

"Sir."

"Blimey, Sarge. This is a queer 'un, ain't it? Something to tell your kids. I mean, Martians!"

"You just face front and mark your man when you see him, Vincey lad. Martian or no Martian."

"Wait till Alice hears all this."

"Set a date, have you, son? You and your Alice?"

"Not yet. I want to have enough put by to make us comfy. And then we'll get married in that little church with the twisted spire back home, down by the river."

"Oh, it's so green there, Sarge. It's beautiful. I miss the trees and the grass. I never want to see red again in all my puff. I just want to see..." the man is suddenly cut off by three Ice Warriors standing behind them.

"How in God's name did they get behind us?" Catchlove asks "turn it! Turn it, for God's sake, ninety degrees!"

"It won't work, sir. We need more men!"

"Catchlove, this is senseless slaughter!" I shout, Catchlove climbs down from the gun. In the brig, a rumbling comes from the ground behind the prisoners.

"Front, present! Fire! Come on, lads,
there's only three of them" Catchlove shouts.

"Seer. Doctor, what do we do? There's no way out" Bill says.

"Close it! Close the gap!" Catchlove shouts.

"Retreat! Retreat! Run for it!"

"Sir! What do we do?" Catchlove pushes a man onto the ground where the group of Ice Warriors kill him before running off and deserting his men.