Interlude

An Unbelievable Confession - 33 years ago

"What is going on with you?" Sakai David was finally alone with his best friend Iwamatsu Pong after a long day of being interviewed by the police. "I've known you for years, Pong. I've seen your powers grow. First it's wind, then also water. That's fine. But then it's earth and fire? And now your eyes glow and you're hiding something from me?"

     Pong didn't say anything in return. He looked tired. David was tired too, but he needed answers. 

     "I'm sorry, Pong. I just... who were those people who attacked us? What was that...? You can tell me anything." Pong took a moment to think about what he should do next. He had been keeping this secret from David for years. 

     "I know, I'm just... kind of scared." David gestured for him to keep going. "I'm scared you won't believe me." 

     "I will." He answered without hesitation. 

     "Are you sure? Because I need you to be sure sure." David paused. This must be serious. 

     "Yes. I am." Pong took a deep breath. 

     "This is going to sound crazy, but I'm kind of the reincarnation of an ancient peacekeeper with godlike powers? Kind of?" There was a long pause. Oh no, Pong thought. I screwed up.

     "I'm gonna need a better explanation than that, Pong." David deadpanned

     "So you believe me?" Pong asked. 

    "Kind of," David said sarcastically. "I definitely need some clarification, though. How do you know this?" 

     "Well, you see, when I was a child my parents asked me to pick out four toys out of this large group of toys, and I just happened to pick the four that belonged to the last Avatar!" 

     "Ok, back up. The last what?" 

     "Oh, the Avatar! That's what it's called. The Avatar is the master of all four elements." He finally began to give a better explanation. "You see, my powers aren't actually a quirk, they're an ancient technique called "bending". My dad is an air bender, see? There are four types of benders! Air, water, earth, and fire!" 

     "And you're the master of all four elements?" 

     "Yes! Only the Avatar can bend all four elements. And there's only one at a time. Whenever one dies, a new one is born." There was a another long pause. 

     "No, I get it. I'm just taking a moment to fully comprehend what you're saying." David tried to reassure his friend. "This sounds like a conspiracy theory, are you sure you're not in a cult?" He failed. 

     "I don't know, you tell me. Did you see me accidentally destroy that building?" 

     "I did. I definitely did." He said nervously. "I believe you. Just, please. Don't ever do that again." 

     "Oh, I have nooo control over it!" 

     "What?"