Chapter thirty-nine

The pic above is a piece of fanart I received from Moss_of_The_Frog ! It's also on her fanart Instagram with the same username, which you should  definitely go follow right now!

     "Aw, man! I was totally hoping I would get to wear my costume." Mina loudly complained as your class waited in their designated room. Instead of being allowed to wear your hero suits everyone was forced to wear your regular gym clothes. Made sense, since other classes besides the hero course would be competing. Your mind drifted to that one guy with purple hair who had threatened your entire class. That was two weeks ago now, and you hadn't caught one glimpse of him since, although you had been looking. You wondered if he had some sort of plan. 

"At least everyone'll be in the uniforms. That'll keep things fair, right?" Ojiro asked. It was really cute how he was always trying to encourage his classmates. He was a kind soul. You mindlessly bit one of your fingernails. The adrenaline was already coursing through your veins. 

"I wonder what they have in store for us in the first round." Sato said while practically shaking from nerves. At least you weren't alone. 

"No matter what they've prepared, we must persevere." Tokoyami stated. He looked completely unaffected by the upcoming event. How did he remain so calm? 

"Right." Shoji nodded his head in agreement as the door opened so quickly it slammed into the wall. You jerked your head at the sound to see Iida standing in the doorway, a tense look on his face. 

"Everyone, get your game faces on! We're entering the arena soon!" He announced loudly. You were almost afraid to talk because you might stutter. These past two weeks had been hard on you. It was looking like all of your hard work would finally pay off, and yet you were shaking in fear. 

"Midoriya." Todoroki walked up to the boy, who looked up at him. Todoroki was a head taller than Midoriya, and he was definitely more intimidating. 

"Hey, Todoroki. What's up?" The tension in the room skyrocketed. Todoroki had an aura around him, not unlike the one when he had broken his promise. After that day Mina had demanded to know what had happened and you gave her an edited version of the truth. She proceeded to say she was rooting for an 'enemies to lovers', so you punched her on the arm. 

"From an objective standpoint, I think it's fairly clear that I'm stronger than you." His voice was perfectly even, and his face betrayed no emotion. What a jerk. 

"Uh...! Um, yeah." Midoriya looked at the floor. You stood up from your seat. This was bullshit, and you were almost ready to put a stop to it when the bully opened his mouth again. 

"However, you've got All Might in your corner helping you out." This statement cause Midoriya to gasp. If he was onto something, you didn't care. "I'm not here to pry about what's going on between you two. But know that I will beat you." 

"I can't wait to hand you your ass, Todoroki!" You called him out. "We both know I'm gonna beat you." 

"I know no such thing." He narrowed his eyes the tiniest bit. "Someone as childish as you has no chance in this festival. You'll lose long before you get to me." 

"Trust isn't childish." You muttered, hoping he heard it, and no one else. 

"What's with all these declarations of war lately?" Kaminari asked rhetorically. 

"Yeah, what's the big deal. Why are you picking a fight all of a sudden? And right before we get started." Kirishima approached Todoroki from behind and pit a hand on his shoulder, which was immediately shrugged off. 

"We're not here to be each other's friends. Don't forget. This isn't a team effort." Todoroki turned around and began to walk away. 

"Wait a sec, Todoroki." Midoriya said, but he just kept walking for a moment. "I don't know what's going through your head, or why you think you'd need to tell me that you'll beat me. And yeah, of course you're better than me. In fact, you probably have way more potential than anyone in the hero course. That's why you got in so easily." Todoroki stopped.