Chapter thirty-six

The UA lunch bell chimed loudly as everyone got up out of their seats. After homeroom there had been a couple of boring, normal lessons where nothing interesting happened. You stretched your arms and yawned loudly, a result of your training and a nightly visit to the Spirit World. 

"You should've gotten some rest over our long weekend. I mean, we all should've, not just you..." Yaoyorozu started, but got a bit flustered. You waved your hand nonchalantly at her. 

"Don't worry, Yaoyorozu. I know what you mean. I was actually busy training for the festival, and praying it wouldn't be cancelled." 

"Oh, I didn't know you were so hard working! I wish I'd thought of that instead of lounging around." She furrowed her brow. You smiled at her cuteness. 

"I wouldn't worry if I were you, you're quirk is so amazing!" You exclaimed and she blushed. 

"You really think so?" You nodded. "Thank you so much! See you after lunch?" She waved goodbye as she left. She needed to stop doubting herself. She was a lot like you. 

"I'm so pumped for these games!" Kirishima yelled enthusiastically from the other side of the room and you laughed. 

"We put on a good show, and we're basically on the road to being pros!" Sero exclaimed happily. You were glad everyone seemed as excited as you were. 

"Yeah, this is why I'm even here in the first place." Sato said and Tokoyami nodded in agreement. 

"We get so few chances. We have to make the most of this." He said, sitting openly on a desk that wasn't his. You stood up and moved to join the conversation when you felt someone tap your shoulder from behind. You turned around to see Todoroki. There was an awkward silence as both of you waited for the other to start talking. You held back a sigh. 

"Hi Todoroki, can I do something for you?" You asked. He nodded stiffly before beginning. He was really lacking in the social skills department, huh?

"I was actually wondering if you would have lunch with me today. I have a few questions for you."

"Uh, well, I was actually planning to..." You put your hand on the back of your neck and looked around desperately for someone to bale you out. You locked eyes with Mina, but all she did was smile and give you a thumbs up. You resigned yourself to your fate. "Sure, I'll have lunch with you." 

You passed your classmates as you followed him out of the door, sad that you couldn't stop and chat with them. You could see several of them watched curiously as you left, including Mina who looked really excited. That might worry you more than whatever Todoroki wanted. 

"Uh, Todoroki? The cafeteria is that way." You stopped and pointed in the other direction. He looked over his shoulder at you. 

"I know. I have somewhere I need to go first." That was all he said before taking off again and you were left with no choice but to follow. Well, you supposed you could just leave, but you didn't want to get in this boy's bad side. Unfortunately your gut told you that you already were somehow. You soon reached a part of the school that had been abandoned by hungry teachers and student rushing to eat lunch. Todoroki stopped in the hall and paused for a moment before turning around. 

"I need you to tell me the truth."

"The truth about what?" You decided to stand your ground and play dumb. He wasn't buying it. 

"I know you know what. I saw the look on your face. You looked caught, guilty almost." Todoroki narrowed his eyes. "How about we make a deal. If you tell me about your secret quirk, I'll tell you about mine." 

Your eyes grew wide. It was no secret who this boy was, his father was the number two hero, Endeavor. There was no way he could hide it even if he wanted to. What was suspicious was that they had two entirely different quirks. His father was a fire hero, and he wielded ice. Could he also have inherited his father's quirk? Was this possible? 

"Depends, who else would know?" Playing dumb wasn't working. Time to pivot. 

"Nobody. As long as you can keep a secret." You looked around to make sure no one was listening in on the conversation. Todoroki waited, standing stoically. You wondered for a moment if he ever smiled. 

"Fine, but we have to pinky promise." You said and he blinked. The confusion on his face was the biggest emotion you had ever seen him display. 

"What?" He asked. You glanced around in disbelief. 

"You... don't know what a pinky promise is?" He shook his head. "Ok, I'll show you. You just hook pinkies like this." You twisted your hands around so you could hook pinkies with yourself. "See? Way better than a handshake." 

He still looked very confused, but agreed anyway. You hooked pinkies. The deal was made. 

"Guess I'll go first." You said afterward. He actually leaned forward. "I can control the four base elements. You know, water, earth, fire and air." 

You could tell he didn't expect something like that. His eyes narrowed again. 

"Have you been keeping this hidden since the beginning of class?" He asked. You looked kind of sheepish in return. 

"Well, I actually just recently discovered exactly how much I can do. So, not really." You gave a brief explanation. He stepped back, thinking. You could see gears turning in his head. "So, what's yours? It has something to do with fire, right?" 

He didn't say anything. Instead he just started walking. He past without giving you a second glance. It was your turn to be confused. 

"Uh, where are you going? You still haven't told me your quirk?" He stopped and glanced backwards at you. His eyes were cold like ice. 

"I don't need to give you another advantage over me." 

"But you pinky promised!" You raised your voice, nearing a shout. He couldn't just walk away now. Would he really be that cruel? It turned out the answer was a resounding yes. 

"You sound childish. I owe you nothing. It was your own stupidity that caused you tell me your secret." He continued walking and turned the corner. Your mouth dropped open in shock as he left you, standing alone in a quiet hallway.

🌊🌊🌊🌊🌊

Author's note: I'm back, sorry it took so long. Been procrastinating. Needed the break though, ngl. Drink some water, kay?