Chapter 19

Luke POV

It's been a few days since we went out as superheroes. Since then, we've all thrown ourselves into breaking the distance between high and low-tiers. Remi and I had John and Sera meet our friends and vice versa, and now all of us are one big friend group. Blyke and Isen are also doing what they can to help, but that's about it. That's every high and elite-tier who agrees with us. Arlo and Cecile place value in the hierarchy, Holden is Arlo's best friend, Zeke is just your standard jackass, and Ventus, Meili and Abel all enjoy the power that comes with a strong ability. We really have our work cut out for us. I mentally summarize as I walk down the hall. Oh, and Remi wanted to chat after school. No doubt it's about how I know Rei. Damn it, John! I say to myself, walking through the halls. 

John POV

"Why does everything have to be so draining?" I complain, collapsing next to Sera. "Relax, we just met some other low-tiers is all. They seem nice too!" Sera says, upbeat. "It's not just that, there's also something else that's been on my mind." I confess. "And what would that be?" She asks. "Almost all elite and high-tiers here value the hierarchy, so we've really just got us six." I explain.

"And this is troubling you because…?" She encourages. "Because I'm contemplating becoming the jack." I say. "What?! I thought you wanted your past kept secret?!" She exclaims. "People don't need to know my past to understand my power. Plus, changing this place would be easier if all the Royals wanted it changed. As long as Arlo's a Royal, that will never happen." I respond. "So you're challenging him?" She asks me. "I guess so." I respond, heading down from the rooftop, texting Luke, asking him about Arlo's location. 

"You know where Arlo is?"
"No, why?"
"I'm planning to dethrone him."
"Just don't go overboard, okay?"
"I won't"

After our conversation, I round a corner, and spot Arlo walking down the hall, coming towards me. Well, time to follow through. I think to myself, intentionally stepping into his path. "What are you doing?" He asks, irritated. "Challenging you." I respond simply. "Fine then. Meet me in the east courtyard." He says, walking off. That went much more smoothly than expected. I say to myself, surprised.

Arlo POV

Perfect. John is finally using his power. Let's see just how strong he is. I think to myself, continuing down the corridor.