S 18

The Karasuno team was waiting for the second batch of matches to start. While doing so, they sat near the doors of the gym. You sat right in the corner with your back pressed against the wall, right next to Tobio who was talking with the team's ace.

"You sure you don't want me to help you stretch?" Yu asked, looking at you while helping Ryunosuke— whose legs were in a criss-cross position.

"No thanks," You said, smiling. "I can help you stretch though."

"It's alright," the second-year replied.

You nodded, looking away from two of your upperclassmen. Your attention went towards a loud conversation from strangers that just happened to be about Karasuno.

"Karasuno was amazing."

"Especially that little #10! He was unreal."

"I know, right?"

"His quicks were right on the money."

You glanced at Shouyou before looking down in an attempt to hide your grin. The orange-haired boy's eyes were absolutely gleaming with how he was being praised by people who watched him play.

Shouyou's expression suddenly shifted to a terrified one when Tobio stopped talking to Asahi, stood up, and looked at him.

"Wh-What?" Shouyou asked. "I'm happy. What's wrong with that? No one's ever said stuff like that about me before."

You were a little shocked when Tobio himself started to grin.

'I can't decipher whether that's a good grin or not,' You thought.

"I didn't say anything," Tobio said. "I'm glad you're getting all the attention."

"I get what he's saying but he looks so sarcastic," You mumbled to yourself.

"The more our opponents are wary of you, the more they'll bring out the best in you," the setter continued.

"Yeah, I don't really understand what you mean but you're scary when you're smiling," Shouyou said placing his fingers on his chin.

As a response, Tobio placed his hand on Shouyou's head and gripped it. The orange-haired boy raised his hands and waved it as he expressed the pain.

You chuckled as you stood up and walked towards Shouyou. You placed an arm around his shoulders and chuckled again.

"Dummy," You whispered.

"Sh-Shin?!"

You pulled back and placed all your weight on your back leg.

"Kageyama probably meant it about you being a decoy," You said.

"They're right," Keishin said. "That little #10 gets a big reaction. The bigger the better."

The three of you looked at your coach as he continued to talk about how Shouyou being recognized can create an immensely helpful effect afterward.

"The more Hinata shines, the more he blinds the defense."

"Oh," Shouyou muttered.

"So the starting lineup for the next match will be the same as the first," Keishin said. 

"Our next match is at 1:30 pm," Daichi said, looking at the paper in his hands. "Keep yourselves warm."

"Have a light lunch," Keishin added. "Don't fill yourselves up."

"Osu," the team said.

You fixed your things and made sure to secure your belongings. You were planning to do a light jog outside before having your lunch so you wouldn't be too relaxed before the game. 

"Shin," Shouyou said. "Wanna go outside?"

"Sure," You replied. "Let me just get my towel."

You grabbed your dry towel that was right on top of your zipped bag.

"Wait, Shin."

You turned to Yu and asked, "What is it, Noya-san?"

"Wait for me. I'm just gonna talk with coach about something," he replied.

"Okay," You said with a smile before turning to Shouyou. "You can go ahead for now."

"Alright!"

You watched as Shouyou walked outside the building with Tobio beside him. Your head turned towards Yu who was talking with Keishin. 

While doing so, you noticed how Yu would glance at you from time to time before nodding at the coach and smiling at you.

"You gonna jog outside?" Yu asked, approaching you.

"Yeah," You said, nodding.

"Okay. Let's go!" Yu exclaimed, running towards the exit.

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

"Noya-san?" You said, jogging beside the second-year libero.

"Hm?" Yu said, jogging in the same pace as you.

"What did you and coach talk about?" You asked, curious about why he kept glancing at you earlier.

"About you playing the first set for next match," Yu replied with the most light-hearted tone.

"You mean I play the first set?" You asked, a little surprised.

"Yeah! If you want to tap out then just tell me."

"Why?" You said, your disbelief evident.

"Eh?" Yu said, turning to you.

"Why do you want me to play so much?" You asked, stopping yourself from jogging. "I mean, you love being a libero and I'm sure you'd also love standing in the court. So why?"

"Just a mentor thing, I guess," Yu replied, shrugging while also taking a break from jogging. "I mean, technically I taught you a lot, and seeing you go and play makes me feel like I'm playing as well. Something like that."

You looked at him confused. Shouyou and Tobio were all about playing in the next match and stepping in the court. Normally, that's what every athlete would want— to play as much as possible.

"Don't you want to be in the next match?" You asked. "Especially since it's against Date Tech."

You knew the impact their previous match against the said school had on them. It ultimately caused their ace to quit which in turn made their only libero at that time to lose his cool and get suspended.

This was the rematch they waited and also feared a little and you didn't understand why Yu was doing what he was right now.

"Well. All I really want to happen in that match is Asahi-san overcoming what he experienced in our last match before against Date Tech," Yu admitted.

The second-year grinned at you as he placed his hand on your shoulder.

"It doesn't really matter which libero plays in it," Yu continued. "Because I know you will do your best as well to keep the game playing."

"Why do you trust me so much?" You asked.

"I don't know," the second-year said, shrugging after removing his hand on your shoulder. "I just do."

You smiled softly at him before hugging him.

"Shin?!"

"Thank... you," You muttered softly.

Yu just said he trusted you. You didn't know how to actually take it. It wasn't uncommon for you to capture the trust of others in a mission, but this one was different. The whole situation with the team was different.

It might be about just you being a libero but still, it made your heart both feel light and ache as well because Yu didn't know that he was trusting a fake and non-existent person— the person you claim to be, [Last Name] Shin.