S 09

You, Tobio, and Shouyou stood in front of Asahi's classroom.

"I appreciate the sentiment, but," the third-year said with his hand on the back of his head. "Why are you so interested in me? We haven't even practiced together."

"Because if you don't come back, the second and third-years will stay disheartened! Ahk-" Shouyou shouted before being hit in the side by Tobio.

"You're being way too loud," Tobio said.

You giggled before facing Asahi and saying, "What he's trying to say is that although the team is okay together as how we are now, the third and second-years would definitely prefer having you around."

Asahi chuckled a little then said, "You guys are interesting. But, I'm sorry to say I can no longer visualize past high blocks in front of me. I can't get the thoughts of getting shut out, of seeing myself animated, and self-destructing out of my head."

"You might think what I'm about to say is cocky for a first-year shrimp," Shouyou said with his head down.

'Shrimp?'

"I won't think that," Asahi said. "What is it?"

"I understand how you feel," the orange-haired boy said. "I'm short and have no skills, so I constantly get blocked. But now..."

Shouyou pointed at Tobio who in turn was looking at him.

"I have this guy tossing to me, so I can get past any blocker," Shouyou said. "All the blockers vanish from sight and the view of the other side of the net opens up. Then, at the highest point, the ball hits my hand, I feel the heft of the ball snug in my palm. I love that."

You smiled at Shouyou.

'That sounds cool and all that, but why do I have to be here? He only needed Kageyama.'

"I envy you, Asahi-san," Shouyou said. "I don't have the height or power to spike through blockers on my own, but you do, Asahi-san. Maybe they've blocked lots of your spikes, but you've spiked lots of points too, haven't you? That's why everyone calls you the ace, Asahi-san."

You patted Shouyou on the back as he finished.

"You can be a motivational speaker, you know?" You joked before turning to Asahi. "Asahi-san. I'm pretty sure you've made up your mind about this. But, if by any chance, you're still at least 1% considering it, I really hope I get to see you play."

Before Asahi could even respond, the bell rang.

"It's time. Let's go," Tobio said, walking away.

You nodded, walking away as well.

"Moron," the setter said, hitting Shouyou on his head. "We'll be late for class."

As you walked away, you began to think about everything you were trying to manage. Right now, you were juggling getting close to your other suspects, training, and helping Shouyou convince Asahi to go back.

'Ahh. How bothersome.'

"Um," Tobio said to Asahi, making you look as well. "You don't win alone. That's just how it is. That's why there are six players on the court. I didn't realize that until just recently, so I'm not one to talk. Excuse me."

You smiled. 'On second thought, I think they're handling the problem with Asahi-san fine all on their own.'

●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○●○

You played with the pencil between your fingers as your thoughts passed through your brain.

'I have to find a way to get closer to Okuda. But how?'