P 22

“You’ve been staring at that one page for five minutes now.”

You looked towards your bedroom door and saw Maki standing next to it.

“You’re finally awake,” You said, the papers about Takayama Orochi in your hand.

“I was up for thirty minutes already,” Maki said, taking a seat next to you on your bed.

“Then I can assume that you’ve at least eaten breakfast?”

“Have you?”

“I had my morning drink,” You mumbled as you looked down at the paper again and stared at it.

“That’s not food,” Maki said. “You’re falling back to your old habits.”

“I’m not,” You said.

“Don’t even try to fight,” the black-haired boy said. “I’ve known you for at least thirteen years. I know you’re stressed right now and as a result, you can’t eat well.”

“If you knew, why’d you even ask?” You said.

Maki sighed and moved in front of you to squeeze your cheeks.

“Ouch!”

“Eat,” the boy said. “If you didn’t find any answers before, you still won’t be able to find any now.”

Maki let go of your cheeks and returned to where he was seated before.

“Not without any new information,” he continued.

“Exactly,” You said. “That’s what I was thinking.”

You handed the papers about Orochi in your hand to Maki.

“Look,” You said, pointing to something. “If we wanted to, we could track down who his father is even if it’s stated in his birth certificate that his father his unknown. That’s how skilled the agents assigned to gather data are.”

“I don’t see how his father being unknown can be related to our case,” Maki said. “Also, even if we wanted to, we couldn’t dig much deeper than this because, technically, he hasn’t shown any reason for suspicion other than Hinata Shouyou’s statements— which are invalid since it’s a verbal one from another suspect.”

“Precisely!” You exclaimed. “We are here to get those reasons for suspicion from any of the suspects. Then, once we have, they’ll be allowed to fully investigate any of them. That’s the only time they’re allowed to do a breach of privacy.”

You furrowed your eyebrows.

“That’s why I’m wondering how they got new information without us sending any reports about anyone being suspicious,” You said.

“Hinata Shouyou’s phone causing signals during your camp is a valid one, right?” Maki said.

You clicked your tongue and said, “Right. That happened.”

You groaned and covered your eyes with both of your palms.

“Wait a minute.”

“What is it?” Maki asked.

“In the event of a new evidence being brought up, usually, the word of a field agent is stronger no matter the situation,” You said. “Also, why haven’t they sent the files about the so-called evidence against Shouyou? If it really helped in pinning him, they should’ve at least told us about it.”

“Finally,” Maki said, smiling at you. “You’re catching up.”

“Huh?”

“I haven’t given it that much thought but I figured that there was something weird going on,” the boy said.