Chapter 26

IRENE

"Mom said I will like him."

"Omg, I knew it!!!" Wendy exclaimed.
We're outside for lunch break.

"What?" I asked my weird bestie.

"Irene, I thought you are smarter than me." Wendy tried to match my stare.

"I don't see the relevance, Wendy." I am enjoying my blueberry yogurt.

"They are preparing your marriage, granny! You are old and need to get laid. For sure cobwebs are everywhere!" She laughed like a maniac.

"Your mouth, Wendy!" I cautioned her because we aren't the only people inside the restaurant. If we're only alone this midget probably got smacked.

"Can't you see? You just said your Mom said you'll like this NEW COO."

"So?" I am finishing up my yogurt not even slightly interested in our topic. I only like a certain blond.

"Why would they hire someone you would like if this is only about business? And he isn't even capable to be in that position. They are giving him a chance, Irene. Because they see him as their future heir. Your soon-to-be other-half." She clapped like an excited sealion. Sometimes I really wonder how did she get 3.9 GPA during her HS days in Canada and graduated from Harvard with flying honors?

"It's impossible. They know I am gay. Why would they set me up with a man?"

"Because he has the qualities you would surely love?" She tried to convince me.

"Aigoo, stop talking nonsense. We can't be late. Let's head back." I pressed the napkin on my lips.

"Irene, I know he's your future other half but let me just make a scene later."

I look at her trying to check if she means it. "What scene are you trying to pull this time?"

"Let me just punch that moron, just once. I hope he would not mind knowing I am your best friend. He will still marry and forgive you, right?"

"Wendy, are you crazy? How can you punch him? We will get fired on our first day."

"If he's able to withstand my strong punch then he'll have my approval to date you." She's shadowboxing in front of other people so I need to pull her outside the restaurant.

"Is that even the standard?"

"This is the new cool standard." She said like that's the new norm.

"Who set that absurd standard anyway? Is that from the new generation?"

"No, from Girl's Generation, I believe."

"Huh? Taeyeon?" I got so confused.

"Oh my God, Irene that was a joke. You should laugh instead of trying to figure things. You are no fun."

"Yah!!!! Stop messing around, Wendy."

"Of course, I just made it up. It's Wendy's standard. Mine. Period."

"But I did not punch, that mono-eyelid woman. I knew you liked her." I pointed out.

"Don't bring Seulgi into this conversation. She's exclusive for me."

"Did she even call you as she promised?"

"Nope, she's busy." She's so defensive I was just asking.

"How did you know she's busy?"

"I just felt it, you know. When you are meant to be together you have this mutual respect for your personal space. I know she's a busy woman."

"God, you are so insane, Wendy. Let's just meet the COO. Make sure to punch him so hard for me." I smirked so she does.

COO office.

I knock but no answer. Wendy is preparing herself to do whatever crazy plan she has. When I am about to twist the doorknob the door just opens like it has its own mind. The next thing I see is Wendy's fist flying in the air, targeting to land on someone's face.

"Whoa!" A woman got surprised by the sudden attack of my midget bestie. I'm glad she has a quick reflex to avoid getting punched.

The fool Wendy tripped off and was about to fall down but the other woman immediately grabbed Wendy by her waist so she won't hit the hard floor.

I am trying to process everything because it happened in front of me like a slow-mo and I am sure this is my sister's girlfriend. What the hell she's doing inside the COO's office?

I hate how Wendy bites her lips unconsciously like asking to be kissed by Lisa. I need to do something to break them up. I am getting jealous of how close they are right now. I didn't know what got into me. I pushed Wendy.

"Oucccch!" Her butt landed on the solid floor and she glared at me. "The heck, Irene we're teammates?"

Lisa offered her hand to pull Wendy, "Are you alright?"

"Oh, no my butt really hurts. I think I need a major operation. Risky, risky this is an emergency." She's acting all hurt when I am sure it didn't break her tailbone. Should I kick her butt myself? She even used the catchy line from Twice's new song.

"Okay, let's take you to the hospital," Lisa suggested and was about to carry Wendy.

"Lisa, Wendy's just acting don't get fooled."

"Yahhh, it really hurts." Wendy protested. I know Wendy's tactic of flirting, this midget can never fool me. I observe her snaking her arms around Lisa's neck for support so I walk towards them and pull her away from Lisa. I pinched her arm secretly.

"Awwwts!!!!God, Irene!" Now I know for sure she's not acting hurt.

"Behave yourself or I twist your neck. Don't be such a bitch." I said coldly and she composed herself immediately. I tried to lower my voice so Lisa won't hear me.

"Uhm, should I take you to the hospital?" Lisa asked worriedly to Wendy. Gosh, no wonder Jisoo fell for her. She's just so sweet.

I pinched Wendy lightly so she'll answer. "Awts," She tried not to scream. "No, I am so fine. Nothing to worry about. I drink a lot of milk. I got strong bones but I stop growing despite all those glasses of milk." She explained and stared at me with frightened eyes.

"Good," I said under my breath.

"Oh, okay." Then Lisa turned to me and flushed her million-dollar smile. I thought I'm going to faint. "Irene, wow! It's nice to see you. How have you been?" Is she really happy to see me?

Wendy looked at me suspiciously and then at Lisa. I know what she's about to ask, glad she remained her mouth shut.

"I'm uhm, good. Just want to ask. What are you doing in the COO's office? Do you have an appointment with him? Have you seen him already?"

She just chuckled like something I said was funny. I wanted to smack her actually because she was being so cute right now and I hate it because I should not have this kind of excitement around her presence. I almost forgot what's the purpose of getting here. I just wanted to hang out with her and stare at her beautiful face all day long. God this is complete torture for me. Stop smiling I can't take it anymore.

Why Lisa? Why? You're annoyingly cute, pretty, and handsome altogether.