A Birthday Night

Fanfiction Inspired by J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.

Eddie

I was finishing up my work in the library and stood to head for the room of Requirements when I saw a familiar figure crouched behind a corner table. I smirked, approaching her, sling my bag on one shoulder.

"Hey." I announced myself and she looked up from biting her lip.

"Ed, hey, what're you doing here?" Ginny smiled.

"Finishing Potions or Nancy would have my head. What about you?"

"Astronomy. Its sublimely stupid." She sighed.

"Seems like fifth year would be worse than second." I chuckled.

"Yeah. I learned that now. Second year is a blast."

"What were you like?" I asked, leaning by the table.

"What do you mean?" Ginny asked, amusement on her face.

"Your first year. Ron says that Harry, him and Hermione went in search for a stone and stopped Voldemort from returning. What about you?" I knew those three shown from their first year but I didn't know much of Ginny.

"Well.. I'll tell you the truth Ed, I wasnt the heroic type." She chuckled but not truly radiating, "You see, I was gifted this diary. It seemed special to me because when I wrote in it, it wrote back to me."

"Wrote back to you? The diary?" Confusion marred my face.

"I would talk to that diary and I was happy that it was something good for me. Only I didnt realize what was happening. I was becoming less of me and more of the diary." I gulped. So did she.

"The diary was cursed?" I asked.

"Possessed. By Voldemort's memory." My heart dropped a bit, "That memory was getting its power by possessing me and though it gave me confidence and the satisfaction of having a friend, it also used me to spread pain." She sighed, I wanted to give her some comfort but I didn't know if she needed it or how to do so, "I was petrifying people. Well, i was doing it with the help of a Basilisk that you probably saw as my bogart."

"Merlin. Yeah. Dennis told me what happened to his brother." I realized. The year the school almost closed... was that because...

"Well, yeah. That was... me." She answered andI blinked sadly.

"I spread havoc and pain until I was dragged to the chamber of secrets." I held my breath, "Where the Basilsk and the memory's soul lived. It took me down to lure Harry." My jaw clenched.

"And Harry saved you by killing the snake. I heard them mention at the DA meet." I pieced the story together with what I'd heard last year. Cho Chang mentioning how Ginny was there when Harry killed the snake and her response that she slept through it. Maybe it wasn't all a joke.

"Yeah."

"And that was me. Or is me. Since my first year." She shrugged.

"That isn't you." I spoke after a beat, not showing my sudden urgance to protect my friend from her demons. Abrupt answer would've shown care, not logical understanding, "You're amazing." I smirked, truthfully, "You're three years ahead of me but one of my best friends. And I don't believe you could ever hurt anyone on purpose." She looked up from her parchment at me, "That diary possesed you and i reckon Harry doesn't blame you either. If he did, he wouldn't be with you, right?" She turned a bit red and giggled. Her eyes watery. Four years and the wounds were still fresh, "My aunt always say, that those who love you, always find the best in you. And if it exists, they believe in that part of you because its strong enough to be them."