Missing

Fanfiction Inspired by J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.

Eddie

"Thought I'd find you here." I spoke when I found Ginny sitting in front of the fireplace.

"Merlin." She sniffed, "I thought you were Harry for a second."

"Oh, were you expecting him?"

"No." She rubbed her nose, "He just left." She spoke in a nasal voice.

"May I?" I asked, she nodded and I slid on the ground beside her, "You know, I never understand why you and Harry never use the comfort of a cushion." I muttered. She snickered.

"I suppose I'm infected wth the habit from him."

"I like what you have with him."

"What's that?"

"You trust him. He trusts you. It's nice to have friends like that."

"Well, you have Nigel."

"I do. And Nancy as well. They're nice. Good friends. I never thought I'd meet Nigel. He just up and walked into my compartment on the train." I laughed. She looked at me with a raised brow and a small grin.

"What?"

"Nothing. Just sounded familiar." She inhaled a deep breath, "So why did you think I'd be here?"

"Well, you have a habit of not sleeping on the right time." I avoided using the word nightmare or anything that related to the Basilisk story. I knew she didn't want to tell it to me.

"I know you saw my Boggart, Ed." She spoke to my surprise.

"You don't need to tell it to me." I assured.

"Thanks." She gulped.

"I know you saw mine."

"You don't either if it makes you uncomfortable." She spoke kindly.

"It was a break in." I answered, uncaring.

"What?" She looked down at me.

"It'd been only a couple months with my aunt after... well, I moved in with her." I stared at the fire, "It was midnight, I remember. I wasn't getting much sleep but that night I was especially exhausted. I just went to my room and tossed in. Just then, my aunt came rushing in and just shook me awake so hard. I remember it was so painful,...  her hold. She dragged me to the spare room and shut me in the closet. Said there were burglars in the house and she'll be right back." I gulped, "Being ten at the time and freshly mourning in loss, I knew better than to hide this time, so I just jumped out to help her. It happened then." I licked my lips, focussing on the dancing flames in front of me, ignoring the gaze on me that made my cheeks heat up, "He stood there. A dark figure. He was quiet and I knew he would shoot me. I was scared but... but I was ready. My aunt caught him in time and sent them off but... it stayed. That one memory." I looked up at her frowning face, staring at me, "It's like it meshed into one along with the death eaters who came to my house that night. I didn't see their faces either but I could image their shadows. And I suppose, it's the past that clung to me." I sighed, "You said it yourself Ginny, it can only hurt you if you let it."

She smiled just a little.

"You're right." She whispered but I knew she didn't believe her own words.

I stood up and bent hugging her, taking her and myself by surprise.

"Goodnight, Ginny."

And then I left her be.