Noticing

Fanfiction Inspired by J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.

Jenna

He'd grown so much. Eddie Gideon. He was completely different looking guy now. From the small slender figure, he'd grown taller, not much thicker but better. His hair were a perfect mess and face a tight jaw. He'd grown so much, it was unbelievable. He sat back with Casey in the compartment and I laid back against the back rest on my side.

This summer was hell. We'd been attacked thrice. One time, Granpda even almost lost an arm and if it wasn't for mum, he wouldn't be alive. She had a friend who was healer and she came over to help Grandpa out. I'd read every other day about missing persons and I knew I was terrified of reading any of the names of the people in front of me. Hard to admit but I was most scared to ever read Eddie's name. It was even before that I knew him well that I read about a woman missing and she was Ed's aunt. Nancy told me how she was taken but Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley helped bring her back. I was terrified of that happening again but thankfully he was okay and so were the rest of my friends.

As I watched Casey drop her head on his shoulder and fall asleep, his ease hurt me. I couldn't figure this itch that occurred since the moment I walked in on them kissing last year. I could tell he wasn't much paying attention to Casey's head on him because his jaw was ticking and he was staring out the window. When he was punched by that death eater, my heart jumped. What if they'd done something worse? Used a spell instead. I clenched my fist at this but the pain in my hand increased and I hissed, staring at the covered hand of mine.

I'd lied about what happened. We were attacked. My mum's spell backfired from one and I was in the way. The burn was from a counterattack and wasn't curing properly with magic. I'd only just gotten it and mum couldn't get ahold of her healer friend so I patched it up and told her I could get it fixed by Madame Pomfrey.

I was involuntarily touching my hand and after realizing, straightened up but paused at the sight of Ed looking at me. I shrugged in question and he blinked away, looking at Casey asleep on his shoulder. His face turned red but he dropped his head back and shut his eyes.

I made the monster in my chest settle down before its irritation could show on my face.

***

As we walked off the train, I struggled with holding my bag up but someone kind enough helped me put it on my shoulder. Louis. Eddie only went off with Casey.

"Thanks." I cleared my throat, fixing myself and getting off the train with Nigel and Nancy.

"You know, all you have to do is tell him." Louis chuckled.

"What?" I gulped the nervousness in my throat.

"Nothing."

I looked at my feet and then we reached the carriages in silence.

"Neville!" I heard Ed call out and watched him jog off to Neville Longbottom, who stood with Luna Lovegood. For what I'd known and seen, he was friends with them as well.

"Hey." Neville greeted.

"Hi, Eddie." Luna spoke kindly.

"Are you alright?" He asked them.

Neville nodded.

"And you?" Neville looked around.

"Well, Ed pissed one of them off. Broke his nose." Nigel shrugged and Louis snorted.

"You alright there?" Neville looked a bit concerned. Ed nodded.

"I wanted to ask about, erm, Harry? And Ron? Hermione?"