The Train Ride

Fanfiction Inspired by J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series.

Eddie

September 1st, 1995. I read the date over and over. Something about this year was gnawing at my gut. My trunks were packed, my green bag was set and Merline was curled up beside me. I stroked her hair, tapping my wand in a rhythm on my thigh.

There was a knock on my door that grabbed my attention and my Aunt's head floated in.

"Come on, breakfast then the road." She spoke with crossed arms.

"Mhmm."

"I have something for you."

"What?"

She bent outside the door and brought in a purple box. It was huge and thickly flat.

"Your mum wanted to give you this for your eleventh but erm, things were so out of order... I completely forgot that I had it. I found it in the storeroom yesterday." She laughed.

"What is it?"

"I don't know. I never opened it."

I inhaled a loud breath. Playing with the wrapped for a bit, I opened it only to have our eyes widened. It was a scarf. A Hufflepuff scarf with initials C. G. knitted at one end in the same yellow. Aunt placed a hand on her lips as I pulled it out.

"But I... erm..."

"That doesn't matter." Aunt added quickly, "She just wanted to send you off to Hogwarts with her memories."

"I love it." I chuckled.

"Ed, look." She pulled another small thing out of the box. It was a frame. One that could be set on your side table. It was a moving picture of her, Dad and I. I was about five and sitting on Dad's shoulders, while mum was holding a ball of snow, playing catch with it in her fingers. I read every moment in the picture, suddenly not wanting to go. I was reminded that the place I went to school was a place where once my parents laughed and walked around. The corridors swelled of their presence and the classrooms booming with their excellence.

"Let's go, Aunt." I gulped, standing up and tucking the frame in my trunk and scarf in my bag.

Our flat wasn't far from King's Cross. This time aunt had time to drop me off and she went all the way into Platform Nine and Three Quarters to drop me.

"Ed, have you got your stationary? All of it?"

"Yeah!"

"Your jumpers? You know you get cold fast."

"Oh, Merlin..." I muttered.

"I've got everything. Can I go now? Otherwise everything that I have will reach Hogwarts ... without me."

"Don't be smart with me." She pressed a hand on my head and indicated a small slap.

"Be careful, will you?"

"You too." She clapped my hand in a shake and hen we parted. I held Merline in my arms and walked up the steps into the train. The train already started moving by the time I started searching for Nigel or Nancy or an empty compartment. I was still roaming the extra packed train when I saw a bunch of guys crouched inside a compartment. I pushed open the door to find Nigel with Seamus, Dean and a guy on the floor. He had... bats flying around his face.

"What happened?" I whispered as Nigel pulled me out of the compartment with Dean and Seamus helping the guy. He shut the door and exhaled a breath. He'd grown taller than. Not by a foot but a few inches was sure. His hair were shorter and a perfect length that it touched the rim of his ear, while being slightly curly. He'd also turned a bit skinnier and one could say, he changed a bit.