04 || Sleep Apnea (Piano)

"You're lucky you get to make new friends in Japan. I'm stuck here." Peter threw your neatly folded clothes behind your suitcase and plopped onto your naked mattress.

"You need to stay here and take care of May." You packed a toothbrush into a plastic bag, even though you could have easily bought a new one. "Ned, MJ, they need you. My family and I already said goodbye, but I promised you and them that I'll come down for holidays and free weekends."

"You promise that, right? Because the last time I was alone with out Spider-girl with me-"

"You'll be fine. You have Mr. Stark, Banner, and the others. You'll be alright." You zipped your suitcase and looked around your room a last time. "Let's go say goodbye."

... ... ...

Oh my god how do I do this, you thought to yourself. Midoriya was standing quietly and patiently fiddling with his thumbs. Was it too late? Did you use the wrong approach?

Go straight for it. Don't do what Peter did, don't act nervous because they'll act nervous. Act like this is normal, because a teenager superhero who is overly famous for being a teenager superhero without a quirk is normal. Right? That's normal.

"I'm Spider-girl." You let it slip out on your own. One night into this school and you've already let one person know. Stupidity, embarrassing, irresponsible, all of it. It's more embarrassing to say it was a joke and leave.

He blinked once — no — twice. His lips parted a bit and his fingers stopped moving.

Not going well. Not going well. Not going well.

He tripped over his feet and knocked into his desk causing some of his items and collectibles to fall onto the floor. One, however, the most expensive looking figure, slipped out of Midoriya's grip.

In a split second, he was sure that figure was to be broken into a million pieces scattered all over his floor. But, it was in your hands with a thin web surrounding its chest.

You both blinked at each other. This was going so much worse than you imagined, it was a dumb idea.

"Where- where did that come from?" He managed to spurt out as he pointed to the figure, "I thought you only had one quirk."

"Midoriya," you sighed, relieved he wasn't taking it the wrong way, "I don't have a quirk." You unwrapped the figure and placed it behind him on his desk.

"Then how did you do that? I know you said you're Spider-girl, but you're joking, right? Because Spider-girl is a superhero in America, and she is really serious on her identity and she is partners with Spider-man and she has to fight aliens and stuff and- and you're here! In Japan!" He went on a rant.

"I'm here on a mission." You steadied your voice so hopefully he'd reflect the same emotion. "Spider-man is over there while I'm here for something else."

"Is.. that how you knew about One for All?" His chin dropped and his eyes looked up in embarrassment. "All Might told you because you needed to know about us, huh?"

You shook your head yes.

"And that's why there was a limo, and a velvet rope, and why you had to go to the office, and that's the big secret." His mind slowly started to piece it together. "But, why here? I mean, I know you said you're here for a mission, but, there must be other schools who are in much danger, right?"

"Because it's one big butterfly effect. If something bad happens here, it gives others a chance to add onto the chain," you explained. "Being a hero is like solving a math equation: you have to solve one step to get to the other, and eventually solve the problem."

"None of my teachers has taught it like that so far." He smiled gratefully for the advice. "Maybe it's good for you to be here, since you're our age. But can I ask you one more question though? One that our teachers can't answer."

You nodded your head again.

"Is it hard? You know, being a hero at your age. Every time I intern with the pros or do training, I would always think about how difficult it would be to be doing the real thing." He reminisced on his memories and you could see the glow in his eyes.

You pressed your lips together mad exhaled, "It's very, very hard. I don't think anybody should be having this responsibility so young. But, I'll help you and your classmates out however I can while I'm here." You stuck your pinky out, "I promise."

He locked his pinky with yours, "And I promise to keep your secret."

... ... ...

"I told him I'm Spider-girl." You muttered into both of your palms as your head rested in your hands. "I felt so guilty knowing I can help him out but couldn't."

Toshinori sat a cup of tea on the coffee table and took a seat across from you. The dormitory should be sound asleep by now, but you're still on America time.

"I think it's good you got it out to someone your age, young L/n." His small form was much more favorable than his bigger form. "These students are like a big family to each other."

"I can tell," you took a sip, "I have friends who are like family at home too."

"You miss them?" It was so silent, there were basically crickets in the room.

You felt that feeling in your stomach— like you swallowed a brick and it's weighing you down into the couch making it harder to stand up. Your nose began to burn.

"Yeah. I guess I'm kind of homesick." You shrugged your shoulders. "But it's okay, I've always wanted to come to Japan. I didn't take Japanese for neighing."

"That is true. And it is okay to feel homesick, it's normal. But, these students are the most welcoming kids I've met." He leaned forward, "Give them a chance."

"I know." You leaned back into the couch and felt your eyes droopy from the sleep deprivation finally catching up along with the tea. "Hey, Toshinori?"

"Yes?" He looked up.

"How do I tell these kids not to rush themselves into the hero life so young?" Your fingers wrapped around the tea cup to gather the warmth on your fold fingertips.

"You can't. They're too excited because they are so close to their goal, and too far to realize your point." He pat your head as he stood and walked to the windows to shut the curtains. "But what you can do,"
he grunts, "is help them along the way."

"I was planning on doing that." Your head started to lean onto the arm rest of the couch. "I just wish I wasn't doing it alone." Your eyes finally shut.

Toshinori threw a blanket over your body. You fell asleep in his office rather than your own dorm room the second night here.

Shutting the lights and making sure the door was locked and secure, he slept in his office too. Because even though you're a hero, a superhero at that, he wouldn't leave a child to sleep alone in a building without a supervisor.