50|| catching up

YOUR BODY STARTED TO CATCH UP TO ITS HEALING PROCESS. you were able to move your arms a bit higher before and your back could now shift to the sides easier.

but, peter wouldn't let you. he wouldn't let you irritate your healing process more than it already is.

"come on.." you groaned, still slurring your words as if you were just woken up in the morning, "i can move."

"you're right, you can. you can move in the hospital." his stupid snarky comment caused a wave of helplessness to wash over your nerves. all you wanted to do was sit up, tell the driver to stop, and leave the car.

but as much as you hated the weak feeling, you couldn't ignore the pain shocks unexpectedly stinging your body every few seconds. you guessed the mix of adrenaline and pain medication finally wore off.

your eyes started to feel like heavy weights, you couldn't keep them open any longer. the combination of shock, exhaustion, and a soft head massage from your mom shot you into a much needed deep sleep, hopefully long enough for you to wake up in the hospital.

you woke up from what felt like a second of sleep. it was one of those where you blink one second and you're awake the next, however hours have passed by. your entire body was aching from head to toe and to the tip of your finger tips.

it hurt to breathe. your chest barely moved up and down because of a healing rib and the smoke burned your throat.

it was embarrassing to say the least. almost dying from that? a stupid helicopter explosion? you've gone against god knows what and got a smoothie the next hour, but you were a second away from death because of an explosion?

it was because of the height and your concentration. of course, even though you've talked about saving yourself in situations that you'd have to, your instinct went directly to the people inside the helicopter with you.

if those two people were not with you, it would have been easier to come up with a plan to land a safer impact. but no, saving those two others was your first priority.

doing so, you didn't have enough time to think of or do anything to prevent a harsh landing, causing you to hit the ground the same any other person would. thank god for the trees, because you would have died as soon as your skin hit the grass.

oh, and the whole identity thing bugged you out too.

you noticed how this wasn't a typical hospital room you were used to. it looked as if it was meant for children.

it had blue walls painted over concrete. there were measly painted clouds, trees, mountains, butterflies, ponds, birds, and the sun. it looked like a daycare center.

it was giving you a headache.

the metal door clashed with the wall, causing you to jerk up. your mom, a doctor, tony, and peter walked into the room and tried their best to lock the door silently, but you heard it anyways.

"good news, miss l/n", the doctor gently placed down a file beside you. her energy was far more comforting than any other doctor, it was a nice change, almost like your very own personal doctor. "you should be fully healed in three weeks minimum. a little bit of physical therapy here and there, but nothing extraordinary."

her accent kinda threw you off though.

"your dad and brother will be here in a little bit-"

"what?" you interrupted your mom, "japan? no! keep them in america, please."

everybody looked at each other and back down at you with a small frown on their faces. your mother caressed your hair and lowered her voice. "we're in america. you were being treated on the way here."

"but- no! i can't be here, my friends and my school, they need to be protected right now-" you frantically looked for your phone, trying to fight the still aching feeling.

"your friends and school are fine", your mom lightly chuckled, "don't worry about them. they're on break anyway."

"no." the harsh and frustrated tone of your voice nearly broke the dam behind your eyes. frustration and stress tears are one of the most painful things to experience because there's rarely anything you can do to help. "not at home, i mean in musutafu. my friends, you know how many villains there are there?"

"i'm sure they'll be fine, y/n." stark tried to stop you from freaking out over where your phone is, even though it was broken.

"sure? you're sure? i want a 'know'. not a stupid 'sure'. get me out of this stupid god awful room." you tried to overcome the unbearable pain vibrating behind your skin.

"y/n stop, you won't be able to walk if you stand up!" peter raised his voice a bit, wrapping his arms around your waist to pull you back onto the bed.

your friends were there. and your teachers and.. and you're stupid annoying boyfriend. oh my god, your boyfriend.

that idiot. the idiot you missed for some reason, even after pulling that dumb betrayal stunt earlier. the same idiot who managed to meet you on the thin line between life and death, and somehow pulled you to live in this hell.

the same boy, who for some reason, no matter how much you tried not to, that brought something out in you that you thought you could never bring yourself to do.

you swung in the air for the first time without a mask because of him. he listened to your nonstop mumbling about space and your geeky interests in it. let you sleep in his room like a child after watching a scary movie. he let you know you were more than a mystery hero.

shit, you hated it here in america. the way things were, your "friends" back at home only talking to you for homework answers or out of pity, and the lack of things to do since you've already done them all.

but discovering a new country? with new people and a boyfriend? actually doing something with your life besides sitting in bed waiting for someone to say they need you for a mission? it was exciting and different.

"you can go back, you know." stark monotoned, the room went silent. he sighed, "your mission is complete, they caught the undercover villain, so i don't know why you would. but i can always give you a few more there?" his voice trailed off.

they caught him? who was it? was what you were thinking, however too lazy to ask it yourself. they read your face though.

"thanks to your research, which i am honestly impressed you committed to doing, we arrested the principal. and as for the person who exposed you.."

oh god.

"it was the principal himself. which, is what lead us to your files, and then made us conclude on him. the vice principal took over the school, so don't worry about it."

the wave of relief on your face felt nice, like a gust of cooling wind. however, the idea of people knowing who you were now already did numbers.

"phone." you demanded, "give me a phone. any phone."

peter sighed and reached into his pocket, but before pulling anything out, he tilted his head at you like a puppy and sighed, "you promise you won't almost die again?"

"are you stupid? you think i can control that?" you answered annoyed and stubborn.

he laughed and handed you the brand new set up phone, probably the third one in the past year, "yeah.. that's the answer i expected form you."

you ignored his comment, thumbs rushing to find the messages app. thank god for icloud.

the contact name you selected typed in blue at the top bar, your heart racing every time you clicked a letter.

"hey blonde, i'm alive."

lol imagine i killed you off