Chapter 40 - Goodbyes

It was the third day.

Jungkook and the others were supposed to be departing from the Den of Sirens for good today. You hadn't spoken to him in this entire time, Seokjin keeping his promise of making sure you and he were always separated. But it hadn't stopped you from worrying about the captain. How was he? How heavy was his heart? How did he feel about leaving Jimin behind?

And... would you ever see him again?

You hadn't seen or even asked about Jimin since the day you met his demon. You didn't know what questions to ask Seokjin, and you didn't know if you could even be any help.

Not in this form, anyways.

You took a deep breath. You knew your decision. You had been avoiding the topic for the past couple of days as you stayed in Seokjin's room. He had either been physically absent, watching over the other Judges and Jimin; or he had been emotionally absent, lost in his own thoughts as night fell.

But now it was time to tell him.

You waited for him to return from his afternoon shift of watching Jimin.

"Is he the same?" you asked Seokjin.

Seokjin took a deep breath, nodding his head. "It's too hard to reach him. The demon has too much power. Once Jungkook's ship has been out to sea for a day, we'll take Jimin out to sea as well. Maybe we can extract the demon when we're out at sea."

You nodded thoughtfully. "I wonder how Jungkook feels about that idea."

"He doesn't know it. And don't go blabbing it to him either."

"How can I when you won't let me see him? It's hard to tell him anything quite, frankly."

"It's for your protection. You have a way of being reckless."

You folded your arms, tipping your chin up at him. "It suits me."

"It gives me a headache."

He rubbed the back of his head, the dark circles under his eyes darker than before. He sat on one of the benches in his room, leaning his head against the wall and shutting his eyes with a long sigh. You almost felt guilty for being stubborn with him for the past couple of days, knowing how hard he was working to help Jimin.

But you also knew that he was too worn down to fight with you, and you could use that to your advantage.

"I want to see the captain off," you said.

Seokjin opened his eyes slowly to stare at you. He hesitated for a moment, his fingers curling into loose fists.

"Give me one good reason," he said.

"Because it will be the last time I ever see him."

Seokjin chuckled. "Giving up the pirate captain then? I'm rather surprised, I must say. I thought as soon as you got back home, you'd throw off your engagement and go after him. With the spell you have over him, he'd definitely come looking for you. You're telling me that doesn't tempt you?"

He stood up again, walking over to his bed to strip and change shirts. You had seen him shirtless so many times since you met that you didn't even feel awkward about it anymore. Instead, you gripped onto your clothes, stepping towards Seokjin's back and summoning up your courage.

"I'm giving up everyone," you said. "I've decided to get my wings, Seokjin."