Chapter 49 - Healed

"This is hardly worth the time," Yoongi said, his arms folded across his chest.

King Namjoon gently held up his hand to quiet his left-hand advisor, his eyes focused on Jungkook's body across the stone slab in front of him. With the Eros returned to the throne, the king had recovered instantly.

But you couldn't say the same about Jungkook.

Jungkook had completely lost consciousness, his skin paled and discoloring. His faint heartbeat was the only reassurance that he wasn't completely dead, but the way the color had drained from his face, you could all tell that there were only moments before his end.

All you could do was hold his hand, much as you had done with the king. There was nothing else you could do... and it made tears stream down your face as you turned to King Namjoon.

"Father..." you whispered urgently.

He dimly smiled at the name and gave a small nod, then motioned for you to step aside. You hesitated for a brief moment until Taehyung put his arm around your shoulder and pulled you close to his side, away from Jungkook. The king approached Jungkook and put a hand on his chest.

"You returned my daughter to me, and protected her from the demon that tried to destroy us all," King Namjoon said. "You assisted in restoring freewill to my creations, and so - this once - I will restore your body."

There was a teal glow from the king's hand that weaved deep into Jungkook's side. The blood in his clothes disappeared, and the torn threads mended themselves. Slowly, the color rippled back into his skin. Then, for the first time in what seemed like hours, Jungkook took a deep breath, but he didn't open his eyes.

The king took a step back, his face still solemn.

"Bring me his brother," the king commanded.

Seokjin stepped forward, pulling Jimin forward by his arm

Seokjin stepped forward, pulling Jimin forward by his arm. Jimin didn't attempt to stand straight, but instead, leaned towards one side, his shirt burned and loosely hanging. He kept his head bowed, but you couldn't tell if it was from pain or guilt.

"You've burned out the demon?" the king asked Seokjin.

Seokjin nodded. "Jimin's demon has been exiled, and the boy can become a Judge should he be sentenced as pure."

The king nodded. "You've done well, Seokjin."

"Yes, well... I always repay my debts."

There was a shared look between them, but it only lasted for a breath of a moment. The king then turned his eyes towards Jimin. Jimin hung his head lower.

"Look at me, Jimin," the king commanded, his voice unreadable.

Jimin slowly raised his head, his jaw clenched even though his eyes showed deep exhaustion.

"Yes, Your Majesty," he croaked out.

"You allowed a demon to possess you in order to gain power," the king said. "I cannot overlook this."