Chapter 54.

CHAPTER 54: rough

[mature]

vote and comment

I endlessly knocked on her door that late afternoon and I knew her housekeeper wouldn't answer because it was the weekend and she finished after lunch. Cassidy would've been on her own in the house doing God knows what.

"Cassidy, I know I'm the last person you'd probably want to see, but we need to talk and we can't keep doing this. I know you were stressed about your mother's show—I brought it up a few times; I let you shut it down and it was never really a topic of conversation, but it has to be now." I stopped, staring at the door as if it was going to open. It was an incredibly rainy day and cold enough that it was probably a sensible idea to wear a coat, "you can't keep running away from your problems. We're together now; it's my job to support you and I can't do that with you shutting me out like this."

I'll admit I probably look like an idiot, right now, banging on her door, but this was the only way I could get her to open up.

"We need to talk, Cassie and you damn well know—" the lock clicked. Slowly but surely, the door opened and out peeked her small face, wide eyed that glistened slightly and rosy cheeks. But oh fuck, was it a beautiful sight. She sniffled. I knew she was upset so I didn't want to make it worst.

"Come in," she muttered in a small voice, smaller than I've ever heard her speak. I entered and closed the door behind me before turning in her direction. Her mother had so delicately through her words attacked her daughter again until she felt she was nothing.

I saw the hope drain from her eyes as I knew in that moment she felt she was losing everything and nothing all at the same time.

"Would you like a drink...or...something? I can get—I can get one for you." from the way the words delicately slipped from her mouth in a disarray, I could feel how distraught she was especially from the way she carried herself.

The woman hugged her body as tightly as she could, securing the remaining sense of safety she felt in the confines of her own arms.

I couldn't bear to see her like this. Broken.

This wasn't the Cassidy I met. The one I grew to love. The one I couldn't live without.

This wasn't her and I hated it and I was so angry at her mother for ruining her child again.

Even when I looked at her—met her eyes even—my jaw clenched as I kept myself cemented firm on the ground.

"I saw everything. I heard it all. You can't keep suffering on your own like this," I said to her, reaching a hand out, but she instinctively—like a person who'd learnt that trust came with dangerous consequences—backed away. Scared, "you know I love you and I'd never let it go if I couldn't help you when you needed someone the most. Let me help you, Cassidy."

Her blue eyes glimmered under the light as slowly and surely, a tear trailed down her cheek. They met my own, but I gulped down the bubbling panic and anger I was feeling.

"I don't care what it'll be, but I'll listen, okay? You tell me and I'll listen just like you've done for me, but you can't keep doing this to yourself."