Chapter 69.

CHAPTER 69: time to forgive yourself

vote and comment

After getting two bouquets of flowers, we headed out of town and to the address of a nearby church where Owen located Liam's mother and friend.

I saw the cross at the top, hiding behind the branches of the trees. The building itself was small but big enough for the community who lived there. It was made of stone, sturdy and secure as it overlooked the graves surrounding its structure.

We walked through the gates and up the small hill before heading off on the grass in search of the supposed graves. There were a few people there as well, acknowledging our presence but not speaking a word.

A priest was also there, talking amongst some of the others who were there, including an elderly woman with some flowers in her hand.

I read each tombstone carefully as we headed further up the hill in a deep silence but one that wasn't discomforting. We were around halfway up the hill when Liam suddenly stopped, causing me to bump into him.

His eyes were no longer ahead but to his left where he noticed two smaller stones right next to each other, but the look on his face said it enough. I knew who they were from remembering the shape and the writing engraved upon the stone, though we were fairly further away.

Liam took a step forward, almost numbing and then another and then another. The bouquet of pure white peace lilies were gripped tighter in his hold as he went over, me following closely behind.

Once we stood in front of the tombstones, I furrowed my brows and clenched my eyes shut. I wanted the hope that it wasn't them and that they would still be alive somehow, but each letter on the stone sealed their fate further.

EVANGELINA RACHEL

ALEXANDER FIELDS

I stood next to the man who'd gone cold to the touch and when I glanced over, his jaw had clenched so tight. He was shaking slightly next to me even when he tried so hard to hide it.

"He married her," he muttered quietly, his voice sharp and venomous, "he...married her yet removed his name from her grave. Is it because he wanted nothing to do with her once she was dead? To get rid of his name was like removing his involvement?"

"I don't know," I whispered and maybe I was reading too much into it, but what reason other than his pride would he get rid of his name from her's? Because I didn't think he was the kind of man to rid of his dirty involvement in her life and be so pitifully sorry that he'd do that.

He wouldn't want to cleanse her name of his. No ruthless monster would let someone go scathe free that easily—no, Oscar wanted to get rid of his involvement with her because he was probably shameful and because he couldn't bare to have anything to do with her.

And she loved him. Liam told me numerous times how before his mother died, he somehow felt how much she loved him and what he did betrayed her.