Chapter 26.

CHAPTER 26: flying isn't my thing

vote and commenting

The trip to Summer View was like leaving NYC the first time. I was born and raised in the city so I didn't know any better, but there was a part of me that almost felt excited and hopeful as to what may happen. I wanted nothing more than change because the more I was around the same people and living the same life, the more I went insane.

Change is certainly what I got, but it was so different that my parents often kept a close eye on me. The people were free to do as they wished, which meant rules were practically begging to be broken and I was just jumping at the chances of being even a little bit rebellious.

They knew about the high school students and their underaged drinking, but also the college students with their wild partying. Both things I've never experienced until I moved to Summer View and adjusting to a new life was just as difficult. The place wasn't so bustling, the people there so friendly. These people didn't care what kind of person I was, which made fitting in a lot easier.

However, school was completely different.

For some reason—and I didn't find out why until the first six months of me attending—everyone seemed unhappy. I could only know what melancholic smiles looked like and that was what I saw in nearly every student.

Michael introduced me to some of his friends that he made, one including Brielle, but I always felt I was inferior to her from the way she looked at me sometimes. She was nothing but good to me since I spent time with her and her friends even if I felt I didn't really belong in her group.

I understood her concerns about me the second I laid eyes on Miranda. On the outside, she practically mirrored me, someone from a rich family who looked like she was given everything she could want without a second glance, but then her personality was quite reflecting on how spoilt she was.

Daddy's little princess and mommy's trophy to show off to all her friends at brunch.

Girls like her from my previous school made me sick to the stomach and it only worst from there when she noticed me as a suitable punching bag to release her anger upon. I could see why Brielle was so suspicious of me when we first met seeing as she's had to deal with Miranda after Beth's death. Miranda did the worst of the worst when I had done nothing to her and the second she got exposed, I was there to see it all. It's what she fucking deserved after what she put me through.

I got there, though, making it all the way to my graduation with barely a scratch on me. My cousin, Michael—on the other hand—could be implied different. He still missed Coco even if he doesn't admit it, which he doesn't want to. The man felt he let the best thing in his life go, something he never truly got over and something he's always blamed himself for. He didn't want to blame his parents even if in the back of his mind, he knew they were partly to blame for her being scarred from meeting our family.

She was so pure—so precious yet full of fire in her heart, especially for my cousin. Coco may not have realised it, but Michael never thought he was a good person even in high school. It was the parties, Prosecco and champagne, the privilege and reputation to uphold that made him so disgusted in himself.

He was stuck in a family who only cared for looks and who gave not for the sake of others, but to show everyone they were the best people in the world when in reality, they neglected their own children with useless items that held no sentimental meaning to them in any way whatsoever. However, if he thought like that, he felt he would seem ungrateful, which made him sound worst. Either way, he hated the person he imagined of becoming...until he meet Coco.