Chapter 62.

CHAPTER 62: treading on thin ice

vote and comment

I was busy at the office waiting on some information that afternoon

I was busy at the office waiting on some information that afternoon. Russell had brought in a bag of food that I only assumed was from Cassidy. She mentioned something about dropping some food over to me and I'd begged her to join me. Shame she'd almost finished her break when she dropped it off.

Inside was a burrito, a drink—my usual one during the day—and some chocolate chip cookies for after. She certainly spoiled me sometimes, not that I minded, of course. Usually, I packed sandwiches or had to go out to buy food because I was always in a hurry every morning.

A knock on the door averted my attention when Russell entered, "sir, Mr Bowers is here to see you."

I nodded, watching as Owen stepped through the door with a folder casually under his arm. He thanked Russell before making his way to my desk with a slight smile.

Things have definitely changed a lot since we were at school. Owen used to look at me with such hatred and annoyance, but now, it was the complete opposite. We still had our petty fights, but we'd come to terms with past events. He wasn't holding a grudge and neither was I.

"You will not believe the week I've had," he muttered, chucking the folder onto the desk in front of me, "there was a delay on deliveries because they're stuck under ice and snow over there. Honestly, how the hell do you cope?"

I chuckled lightly as I watched him throw himself onto the chair across me with a sigh, "my lot came in three days ago, but the rest are delayed till next week. Such temporary issues will be over once the snow melts. For now, we'll just have to wait. Want some?"

Holding out the other half of my burrito to Owen, he shook his head slightly. I shrugged, continuing to finish my lunch whilst pulling the file closer to me.

"Uncle Alfonso helped me out on this; you won't believe what I've found. Open it." I did as he said, opening the file to reveal multiple sheets of paper inside, some clipped together whilst others were almost falling at the seams.

My whole childhood was hidden in these papers, most of it I chose to forget. I knew I was born in Tennessee and that was where my mother and Alex died, but I had no idea they were buried there. I assumed my father took them somewhere else, purposely preventing me from ever finding them.

"Is this...the exact address?" I asked as my finger traced over two pictures of headstones clipped onto the paper. The photos were small so I couldn't read the writing, but I knew the names were definite. Gulping, I let out a shaky breath, eyeing out every detail I could and feeling my heart sink to my gut.