Chapter 23: The war

I woke up bright and early this morning to pack my stuff. Today is the day we fight the governor. Rick had a whole plan for what was gonna happen. I wasn't to thrilled as I wouldn't be fighting with michonne. At least i'll be with carl, beth, my dad and judith. Packing up was pretty easy, I left the clothes im gonna wear out and quickly put them out.

I had on my baggy black jeans, a long sleeve burgundy t shirt, and my chunky black button up sweater. I also had my new boots on with fuzzy socks, my gloves on and a pair of black ear muffs. I put my hair in two simple braids not worrying to much. Once I had everything to go I headed downstairs where I put on all my gear.

"Got everything?" Daryl asked me as we were the last two inside.

"Yeah." I say with a small smile.

He told us when he got back that merle was a walker when he found him. I knew how much he loved his brother even if he was an asshole. He nodded and lead the way as we headed outside. I headed to the car and shoved my things in. All I had on me was my knifes, and my gun.

"Here abby, just in case." Glenn says handing me the rifle I normally use.

I nod and grab the rifle before getting in the car. I sat in the back with carl as beth sat in the front with dad holding judith. I turn and look at carl who seemed very mad.

"Are you ok?" I asked him poking his arm. He didn't say anything he just looked out the window.

I knew he wasn't very excited about leaving. His mom died here along with more of our people, why would he want to leave. I just shook it off as we started driving away. Dad parked the car a good ways from the prison to where we could see it but safely. I got out and grabbed judith from beth. She immediately fell asleep in my arms as I walked around.

"Be careful," My father says to me as I look into the forest.

"I am." I say before walking back over to them. I sat down on a tree stump with the rifle next to me. Beth sat down on my left and stroked judiths head as she slept.

"She's probably gonna wake up when everything sta-" Befofe beth could even finish gun shots filled the air.

"Get over by the car!" My dad says making me immediately stand up and get behind the car.

Carl stood beside me on my right and beth stood on my left holding my rifle. Judith woke up and started crying making me jump.

"Here let me take her and i'll sit in the car." Beth says handing me the rifle. We quickly switch and beth gets in the car. I look around making sure no walkers came our way.

"I'll watch for walker." I tell carl who's fully focused on the fight.

He nods as I step away and look at the woods. The gunshots have stopped so I just leaned up against the back of the car. I stood wondering what is happening hoping everything is alright. We'd see soon enough. Only 30ish so minutes later the governor and his group we're leaving the prison. I smiled and came back around.

"Some ones coming! Behind the car!" My dad says making all of us get behind the car. Soon a boy around sixteen comes out making us all pull out our weapons.

"Woah woah woah! Don't shoot!" He says holding his hands up.

"Drop the weapon son." My dad says pointing his gun at the boy.

"Sure." He says as he slowly goes to place his gun down.

"Here, take it." He says handing his gun to carl only for carl to shoot him dead. My eyes widened and I looked at beth. She was also in shock.