Chapter 28: The cold

(Note: For my story line the group will be stuck in terminus for most of winter. Abby and willow will be on their own for a while before meeting the group. Itll be a chapter or two until they all meet again and there will be a time jump.)

We've stayed at the cabin for a couple of days until we ran out of food. "Where are you going?" Willow asked as I got ready.

"I'm gonna go look for more food. You're gonna stay here and I mean that. Don't leave this cabin." I say pointing at her.

"I wanna come with." Willow says standing up pouting.

"No, i'll only be a little bit. There's some houses up ahead." I say as she groans and falls on the couch.

"Fine!" Willow says crossing her arms. I smile and walk over to her and kiss the top of her head.

"Ok, remember to do the door thing. Remember how to do it?" I ask holding the rope out for her.

"Yes I do." She says grabbing the rope from my hand.

"Ok good, don't open the door unless you hear my special knock ok?" I say kneeling down to her level.

"Ok." She says nodding her head.

"Repeat what you're gonna do." I say making her roll her eyes.

"Stay in the cabin, rope the door and don't let anyone in unless it's you with the special knock." She repeats back to me with a sigh. I smile and kiss her cheek.

"Good job, i'll be back soon." I say heading to the door. She follows me and hugs my lower half.

"Be safe." She says with a smile.

"I will." I say as we pull away.

I close the door and move the bench in front of it. You never truly know. I sighed before quickly heading to the houses. I wasn't planning on staying out for very long, a couple days worth of food and water and then going back.

The houses were walking distance and only took me around ten minutes to get to them. I killed a couple walkers as I walked through the wood. The street was quiet and cold making me pull my bandana over my nose some more.

I walked fast to the closest house and bang on the door. Silence. I opened the door and headed inside. I immediately headed into the kitchen to see it wasn't completely destroyed which meant there had to be some food.

I open all the cabinets and grab the stray cans and foods that were left. One water bottle sat on the counter making me sigh and look at the fridge. Sadly water bottle would normally be in the fridge which wasn't a good thing in the apocalypse.

I sighed and held my breath as I swung the fridge open. as I stand correct, four water bottles sat on the middle shelf. I grabbed them quickly before quickly closing it.

"Gross." I say as I shove the waters in my bag.

I then headed into the garage. I scavenged around hoping to find any hidden weapons. My eyes fell on a small hatchet that sat on a work bench. I grabbed it and shoved it into my holster. It was just the right size for willow, she needed a weapon but I wasn't sure what. An axe and a knife didn't seem to bad for emergency cases.

I grabbed a crowbar that hung on the wall as well. I stuck that next to my machete on my bag. I grabbed my bow and an arrow before heading outside. I was hoping to find a rabbit or something on the way home, I could easily cook it in the fire place. I headed down the road only to kick an empty can on the road.

I looked down and let out a small chuckle. It was a hundred and twelve ounce can of chocolate pudding, Someone got lucky. As I walked through the woods I listened carefully hoping to here something. My eyes soon spotted a brown rabbit.