Chapter 4:PTSD

Next day Abby was sitting in her room trying to pick something to wear. She truly had no idea. Everyone was planning new places to find sophia or planning dinner. Abby just sat in her room all day in her pajamas but she knew she'd have to get out and do something. Maybe just sit in carl's room and read. Better than sitting in her room. She sat in front of her closet looking in.

"There has to be something to wear." She says turning her head. Before she could speak again Beth walked in.

"Need something to wear?" She ask her younger sister.

"Yup, I can't decide." Abby says as Beth looks into her closet.

"Let me." Beth says pushing abby out of the way. Soon she was digging in her closet for outfits. She soon place an outfit on her bed.

"There you go, when you're done go outside and be on lookout." She tells abby.

Abby looked at the outfit happily. It was a yellow t shirt, some baggy jeans, her boots and her necklace. Abby smiled and headed into the bathroom to get ready for the day. She tucked in her shirt into her jeans to hide some of the huge shirt. Once she finished she took out her french braids she did last night leaving her hair wavy and put her hat on.

She then headed outside and climbed up to her tree house. Andrea was also on watch so abby could look somewhere else. She hummed/sang "Waving Through a Window" from the musical Dear Evan Hansen. Minutes go by making abby bored. Sometimes she wishes something to come out from those woods. Nothing big, maybe like a walker or a person.

"Walker!" Andrea says catching abbys attention. She whips her head around to where andrea was.

"Walker!" Andrea yells louder. Abby admittedly heads down.

"Just the one?" Rick ask her as abby slides down the firepole. Andrea looks into the binoculars at the walker.

"I bet I can nail it from here." She says grabbing the rifle. Abbys heart almost drops from her chest when she sees the large gun.

"No! No! Andrea! Put the gun down!" Rick tells her from the ground. Abby didn't move one bit. She just stayed focused on the gun.

"Best just let us handle it." Shane says holding a pickaxe.

"Shane hold up." Rick tells him. "Hershel wants to deal with walkers." Shane just kept getting closer to him. Abby knew her daddy didn't kill them, she knew what he does to them.

"What for? We got it covered." Shane says continuing to walk.

"Damnit!" Rick says running into the RV to grab his gun.

He then runs back to shane and T Dog. Abby still didn't move. She used to not be scared of guns, she was the best shot on the farm. It wasn't until she was shot by a rifle at the beginning that threw that all away. She was shot in the back, missed her spin by an inch saving her from being paralyzed. Ever since then, big guns scared the crap out of her.

     Andrea without caring still held up the rifle and aimed at the walker. Abbys body started to sweat as she got done lower.

"Andrea don't!" Dale tells her as he watches. "Back off dale." She tells him.

Seconds later andrea shot making abby scream in fear and fall to the floor hugging her legs. Everyone panicked as the young girl feared for her life over one gunshots. For abby the gun shot noise kept repeating in her head. This made the scene of her being shot play over and over in her head. All the pain she experienced came back to her. She felt like she'd been shot again, that she was back at the grocery store. She cried in pain as everything around her changed. Glenn wrapped his arms around the panicking girl who was talking and crying to herself.

"The pain, it hurts. Daddy it hurts." Abby repeated over and over as glenn squeezed the girl.

"No! No! No!" She screamed in between her other words. Hershel saw his youngest wrapped in the arms of Glenn and knew what was happening. PTSD was very common in people who have had traumatic experiences. Maggie admittedly ran over to her baby sister took her from glenn's arms. She mouthed "thank you" as abby clinched on to her shirt.

"Make it stop." Abby says crying as her eyes closed.

"It's ok, I gotcha. Maggie's gotcha." She says rocking abby back and forth. Soon abby passed out making it easier to carry her inside. Jimmy carried her inside and laid her in her room.

"I'll wake her for dinner." Maggie tells him. He nods before heading back downstairs.

This was one reason guns weren't allowed on the farm anymore. This had happened before, a walker had made it to the house one night. Abby was the first to head outside that morning only to be meet with a walker. A pistol sat on the porch and abby picked it up and pulled the trigger. She went into the PTSD state and didn't come out until she passed out. It had been getting better where she could hear a gunshots and be fine. Seeing and hearing big guns, that was her only trigger now.

Soon she was awake but still shaky. She didn't say much as she headed downstairs for dinner. She admittedly sat by glenn. Maggie told her abby what Glenn did. She had a whole new apperception for him. She finally felt like she had a friend other than just her family. Dinner was of course awkward as no one talked. Carl and Daryl sat in the other rooms sleeping. Abby wished she could be doing that right now. She was truly hungry though, she didn't eat all day.

     When dinner was done she stayed back to help clean up. Everyone was now getting ready for sleep except abby. She stayed on the porch watching the farm. She was too shaken up to go to bed. She was hoping to find comfort in watching the long grass move in the cold night wind. She wished she could be with her step mom right now. She used to sing to her on nights like this. Glenn's guitar sat on the porch still. He mentioned something at dinner about it.

Abby smiled and grabbed it. She adjusted everything before tuning it. It was in pretty nice shape. She took one deep breath before starting to play. She only knew one song and she knew it pretty well. Her Step mom taught it to her a couple summers ago and she'd never stopped playing it.

The song was very relaxing making abby wanna fall asleep right then and there. She didn't, she stayed awake to play the song and watch the stars. She didn't just play for herself, she also played for anyone who could hear it.

Everyone in tents and inside the house could hear it. Hershel smiled and stood by the window listening to his daughter play beautiful music. He hadn't heard her play in a very long time. Once she finished he headed outside. She looked up from the guitar and at him.

"Hi." She says putting the guitar down. "Hey sweetheart." He says sitting down next to her.

"I've seen you've grown fondly over some ricks people." He says as she turns her head to look at him.

"Yes, what's so bad about that?" She ask confusedly. He sighed before saying anything.

"I wouldn't, they aren't gonna be around forever. Once they find that girl and carl's on there feet th-" Abby cut him off.

"You're gonna make them leave?" Abby ask squinting her eyebrows together.

"It's for the best. Protection." Hershel says to her. Abby didn't know what to do or say.

"I don't wanna hear anymore. Just please leave me alone." Abby says to him. He just nods before walking back inside.

Abby sigh and pulls her legs into her knees. She didn't know what to do. She stood up and headed into the treehouse. She grabbed her bow and arrows before heading down quietly. She then headed off to blow some steam. She walked by the barn only to hear some noises. She gets her bow ready and climbs up. She grabs an arrow as she hides behind the hay.

Abby could hear the breath of someone in front of her. She flung herself out and aimed her weapon. She was soon met by Glenn who's eyes were wide open. He'd seen the barn. Before she could say anything maggie walked in on abby pointing her bow at Glenn. Both of their heads landed on maggie. Her eyes were wide open at what stood in front of her.

"You weren't supposed to see this." Was all maggie said to glenn.