2. The Job (1-3)

--Time Skip--

You rubbed your thighs nervously, the denim of your jeans heating up a bit "You alright?" the pilot asked "Yeah, just a nervous flyer, the sooner we get there the better." you said, making him chuckle "Won't be a bit ma'am." he said then flew. you watched your home grow smaller and smaller, emptied out the food, and asked a friend to check on it every now and again. you'd been practicing teleporting the last few days, from what you can tell it has no range but you must be able to see wherever it is clearly in your mind. You stretched a little and held onto the straps, you brought a book for the ride but you always found yourself just staring out the window on car trips, and no surprise, a helicopter was no different.

After a bit of flying, they landed in the nearest city with an airport where a quinjet was waiting for you. You saw the machine on the pad with a red-haired woman, and a bald man with one eye staring at you. They waved you over so you carefully made your way over, trying not to accidentally teleport in front of them. You smiled as you walked up "Hello Ms. (L/N). I'm Director Fury, this is Agent Romanoff, we're here to take you to Avengers headquarters." the one-eyed man said. You set down your bags and stuck out your hands "Personal flight from the new bosses and everything? I feel special." you said.

Nat nodded "You should, real psychics that are willing to talk are hard to come by." she said, grabbing one of your bags to help as you grabbed the other "Thank you... and I don't see why not, I was given this gift, I figured I might as well use it, especially with these," you said, tapping your ears "They work okay?" he asked to which you nodded "I can't hear anything with these, just what I'm supposed to, and I'm in a city. This used to overwhelm me like crazy." you said, still in disbelief.

You all hopped on and the jet began to take off "So you understand what you'll be doing" she said. You shrugged "Just that I'll be interrogating someone." you said, Nat tilted her head "Mostly just interviewing." she said with a shrug as you arched a brow "Government facility wants me to come in just to interview someone? No thanks, I know the interviews they do and its a lot less talking." you explained. Nick cleared his throat "Can't blame you for being as mad at the government as you are '' he said, slapping a file on the table, your file, your military file to be specific.

You cleared your throat, looking away and crossing your arms, you knew that was going to come up at some point but not as quickly "You went to them about the prophecy, trying to get transferred to SHIELD." he said. You nodded "They didn't believe me and gave me a medical discharge for PTSD suffered in battle" you murmured spitefully. Nat nodded "I can't blame you for being upset, I would be too... We just want to make the first step in those amends by apologizing," she said.

You smiled and looked between the two then pointed "You guys aren't like the rest of them. You actually mean that." you stated matter of fact. Nick nodded, he had nothing to hide "We want to make up for overlooking it before, your assistance would have been inva-" you held up your hand "Don't worry about it really I know it wasn't you two personally so you don't need to apologize for someone on the council" you explained. Nick nodded "Good because I hate doing it." he said then placed a picture of a handsome man with long black hair, dashing eyes, seemingly in a high-security jail cell.

You arched your brow and smiled "Damn, no offense, can he boss me around?" you asked, to which Fury crossed his arms "Oh, he almost did, he's the one that tried to overthrow New York a few years back." he said. You narrowed your eyes then looked at them, now flushed realizing what you'd said "Oh god... I've never seen a picture of him... Really?" you asked. They nodded "He's who we need to interview, we had to arrange things a certain way so that three that approached you wouldn't know why we needed you because the said target is also a mind reader." he explained.

You furrowed your brow in worry "You guys didn't say anything about interviewing another mind reader." you said with your hands out, concerned. You shook your head, gesturing to yourself "I-I-I've never even met one I don't know how it works." you said. Nick nodded "It's true, Loki has been at this longer and he knows more but we really need to be sure before we make a decision." he said. Nat sighed annoyed, clearly annoyed 'Even though he doesn't deserve it.' she thought, peaking your's curiosity but you waited for Fury "Loki has been working with the Avengers under the supervision of Thor and others for the past year... We're considering lifting this ban but we need to be sure." he said.

You seemed surprised. "Wait, so this monster has not only been helping but has been helping enough that you want to give him total freedom?" you asked, looking at them like they're insane. Nat gestured to you and looked at Fury who sighed "We're all still tense, but on paper, he's done more than enough to prove he's good, but we're still sketchy." he said. You nodded "and queue me." you said, gesturing yourself then sighed and set the picture down.

"Well I'm happy to help naturally." you said, then shrugged "But I really don't know how this is going down so I'm not making any promises... For all I know he can see me rooting around in there and shuts me out," you said, pointing at your head. Nat leaned forward "Yeah but you're better than no mind reader." she explained, which you nodded at, you totally understood. You sighed, staring at the picture, while granted he was handsome, you also knew what he did, and that he was a god.

Nat leaned over and touched your arm "You okay?" she asked, earning a nod "Just... worried is all, I heard about... The possessions from friends." you said nervously "That was all from the staff and he doesn't have it anymore. None of us are going to let him hurt you." she said. You smiled "Thank you, Agent Romanoff," you said, Nat held up her hand "Nat, please." she said.