Day 42: Arbiter Reawakened

-You've been pressing it for numerous times and you still have something you want to know about it?

Slowly opening my eyes, the moment I have feared for during my sleep finally arrived, the beginning of the new day. If that woman, the one who could smile at the misery of others, was speaking the truth then a terrible day was upon us.

...Just right after the Red Mist incident, the wounds still being fresh. My spirit was shaking, quivering even at the idea of jumping into the heat of battle yet again.

Alter Ego: Are you sure?

Y/N: I wouldn't lie about that stuff, especially right after Gebura's tantrum.

Adjusting the scope of my rifle, I mumbled into the mask I was given by little red, trying to find comfort in the pink color of my suit and weapon. Binah was certainly not the type to play around, or at least to make jokes like this. You didn't even need to know her, just a look was enough.

Of course, when it came time for me to reunite with Alter Ego, I told her about the wild adventure I went through during the shift, to which she was understandably confused. So shocked in fact that I had to repeat it a second time for her to truly comprehend my words and just like that, it was a panic, I still remember the words she said.

"An Arbiter?! Are you serious?! This is bad, very bad!"

No matter what I did, I couldn't get her to calm down and opted to wait it out. Bringing her back to our room, I counted the minutes passing by and with midnight approaching, her agitated state grew mild but with some traces of dread, just like me currently.

Fixing her attire, the girl standing beside me looked down at the blade of the dark forest with gloomy eyes, fearful about the outcome. The employees were still shaken up and in dire need of resting, something that we couldn't afford now that the woman herself declared an attack.

Alter Ego: Do we even stand a chance...

Y/N: We won against the Red Mist herself, I have some hope... even if it was at the cost of many people.

Alter Ego: ...

Positioning my sleeves, I dusted off the pants that I was wearing and stood on my feet. I could not forget the losses we suffered, that this place will casually toss aside. If the higher-ups didn't want to care then someone had to, someone had to mourn their departures in some way and not forget their sacrifices for the sake of completing one more day in this ruthless reality.

Y/N: *Sigh* I can't wait to get out of this place.

Alter Ego: ...I suppose you wouldn't be in an eternal death loop out there.

The way she responded felt more like she was trying her hardest to agree with my statement, which made one of my eyebrows rise slightly with questions. However, now was not the time to ponder about this, especially with the ordeal ahead of us.

Finally, one last breath and we both reached the door before opening it. Confronted with the hallway on the other side, we hesitantly stepped outside and got caught by a sudden yell that made our bodies jump in place, followed by a booming laugh coming from our side.

Hava: Got you both~!

Alter Ego: Please don't scare us like that! I almost skipped a beat!

Y/N: How long have you been waiting there?

Hava: Uhhh...

She averted her gaze slightly, a bead of sweat falling down her face. Then, a feeble giggle escaped her lips.